Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Ping-Ken McIsaac (Bench Pic)

Ken:
Here is the bench I mentioned in my Wreck post. I have posted these here
before. Now, for the whole truth.

When I built this the shelves and plastic storage cabinets weren't there.
In that configuration, I could lift out the brace that runs from the
(folding) leg to the wall and the entire bench folded up into the framework.
Obviously that doesn't work so well with the shelves, lamp and other stuff
in place. The end vise is conjured up from a couple of Irwin pipe clamps -
the sliding jaws are fitted under the bench and the crank ends control the
Oak end jaw. The entire bench is made from the finest 2x4's Lowe's had to
offer (with the exception of the folding leg which was made from a 2x12
scrap I had in the shop). One advantage of not being able to fold it is you
can cram a bunch of junk under it :^). Something like this could be
incorporated into wall cabinets, or could even be mounted on beveled wall
rails for movement around the shop.

That brings up another idea. Don't bolt or nail cabinets or other things
directly to your walls. Many of my pegboards, storage racks, etc. are
hanging on beveled 2x4 rails that have matching rails on the item being
hung. If you don't like where a cabinet or other item is, move it by
removing a screw or two and relocate it in minutes. I threw in a picture of
another wall that uses this kind of rail system. Any new wall fixture in my
shop uses this method of attachment; partially because I plan to move in a
year or so and the new shop will be 100% modular wall storage.

PS excuse the clutter.....Oh hell - it looks like that all the time!

RonB

Attached Thumbnails
Ping-Ken McIsaac (Bench Pic)-benchweb-jpg  Ping-Ken McIsaac (Bench Pic)-storagewall-jpg

Fly by night PING PING Shopdog Woodworking 6 May 18th 06 04:08 AM
Ping JJ Leon Woodworking 2 January 8th 06 04:34 AM
NT PING John Moorhead Woodworking 2 March 22nd 05 02:18 AM
Bench Vice Handle for new work bench Nick Bozovich Woodworking 7 August 27th 04 07:22 AM
Bench Dog Or Bench Hold Down Clamp? Tim Hurd Woodworking 8 May 14th 04 12:15 AM