Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default Jet 1442 problem pics

Everyone,

Thank you for your responses. I've learned a lot and taken a lot of advice.

I opened up part of the motor today. Here's what I found:

Inside is immaculate, which I would have expected for a TEFC (hence the TE)
I now have an understanding of how the centrifigal switch operates, it was
operating smoothly, no fusing, no dust, no problem.
HOWEVER,
you almost have to see this to believe it. I posted two pics in
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.

A piece which should have been installed on the shaft was rumbling loose in
there. There's no way it ever made it on the shaft during manufacturing.

The only amazing part is that this thing ever ran while plugged into a gfi.
I guess eventually this piece contacted the housing and caused the short.

I'm going to put it back together and see if it runs without this piece and,
of course, I'll be following up with JET. Even if the warranty period is
out, this is a definate manufacturing defect.

I'll keep everyone posted with what Jet does.

Thanks again,

Joe C.

Attached Thumbnails
Jet 1442 problem pics-motor2-jpg  Jet 1442 problem pics-motor1-jpg

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

I spoke to Jet about it and they agree with you that it's a wavy washer. At
first I thought it had just been beat to hell while bouncing around in
there, but the 'waves' are too uniform.. What Jet thought was weird is that
it's not even a part of the motor, it's a part that goes on the lathe
spindle. Somehow, during manufacturing, it got dropped or whatever into the
motor prior to it getting closed up. The good news is that a different one
was installed correctly on the lathe spindle. I guess I will find out
whether it did any damage to the motor today when I put it back together.

Thank you for your help.

Joe

"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message
. ..
That piece looks like a wavy washer. They are used, I think, to take up
end float on the shaft. Ain't goin'ta work very well if it ain't on the
shaft though!

Bill

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

What Jet thought was weird is that it's not even a part of the motor, it's
a part that goes on the lathe spindle. Somehow, during manufacturing, it
got dropped or whatever into the motor prior to it getting closed up.

What I think is weird is that the motor being a fully enclosed subassembly
of the product would even be assembled in the same building (let alone
province) as the head stock of the lathe.

If it was indeed simply a stray part that dropped into the motor during
assembly, the chance that the part would be used elsewhere (not in the motor
subassembly) would seem really really remote to me.

That smells a little funny to me.

-Steve

Major kitchen cabinet install gap problem? (w/pics) Leon Woodworking 7 July 6th 07 04:41 AM
Gutter problem(Pics included) [email protected] Home Repair 15 July 2nd 07 08:57 AM
Jet 1442 Problem Joe Woodworking 22 March 18th 07 08:06 AM
Jet 1442 Problem Joe Woodturning 23 March 18th 07 08:06 AM
Samsung SyncMaster 950p 'ghost' problem-Link with pics... stef51 Electronics Repair 0 June 12th 06 06:45 PM