Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Coffee Table Project

Ideas for the next project.

I've been asked for a simple coffee table, which will double as a storage
box. I see the obvious down-side to this being that you have to clear
everything off the table in order to use the box. I considered adding
drawers, in effect making a coffee table sized set of drawers, but think
that I will be tackling something like the attached.

Excuse the draft pictures, but the effect that I am looking for is that all
four sides would look (almost) the same, but on the two longer sides would
be a tilt-out draw, connected to the legs of the table by a thick dowel,
thereby hiding any hardware.

c_table1 - basic finished idea
c_table2 - shows the top cut away and one of the drawers.

Would be interested in thoughts, suggestions, etc.,

Sean

Attached Thumbnails
Coffee Table Project-c_table1-jpg  Coffee Table Project-c_table2-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

A few thoughts:

1) I would add at least a little bit of fixed apron above the "pocket".

2) add a flip-up pin to the back of the pocket that catches on the apron.
Unless you really want it to the pocket can't open all the way (and
consequently dump) onto the floor.

3) As designed, the pocket will automatically close, because of the balance
imposed by the geometry. I have a kitchen trash "cabinet" that is tall
enough to move the center of gravity forward of the hinge when open, so
that it stays open. You may or may not want the auto-close behavior; just be
aware of it.

-Steve

"Sean" wrote in message
Ideas for the next project.

I've been asked for a simple coffee table, which will double as a storage
box. I see the obvious down-side to this being that you have to clear
everything off the table in order to use the box. I considered adding
drawers, in effect making a coffee table sized set of drawers, but think
that I will be tackling something like the attached.

Excuse the draft pictures, but the effect that I am looking for is that
all four sides would look (almost) the same, but on the two longer sides
would be a tilt-out draw, connected to the legs of the table by a thick
dowel, thereby hiding any hardware.

c_table1 - basic finished idea
c_table2 - shows the top cut away and one of the drawers.

Would be interested in thoughts, suggestions, etc.,

Sean

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Sean" wrote in message

Excuse the draft pictures,

What program are you using for drawing?

Thanks.

-- Mark

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message
"Sean" wrote in message

Excuse the draft pictures,

What program are you using for drawing?

IIRC, Sketchup ... whether it is the free version or the paid one is the
question.

I'd have a tough time doing that with what little I've been able to glean
from using the free version of Sketchup.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message
"Sean" wrote in message

Excuse the draft pictures,

What program are you using for drawing?

IIRC, Sketchup ... whether it is the free version or the paid one is the
question.

I'd have a tough time doing that with what little I've been able to glean
from using the free version of Sketchup.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

It is the full version of SketchUp (luxury of working for a surveying
company, I guess).

I think that you can do pretty much the same with the freebie one, too.

Draw the image and then "select all" ... click the fill icon and select
something from the small range of "woods" and away you go".

Sean

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Sean" wrote in message

I think that you can do pretty much the same with the freebie one, too.

The "fill" is no problem with the freebie.

It's the "dimensioning" of parts, etc. that, AFAICT, is either not all that
robust/intuitive, or maybe even non-existent in the freebie version?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 14:42:24 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

"Sean" wrote in message

I think that you can do pretty much the same with the freebie one, too.

The "fill" is no problem with the freebie.

It's the "dimensioning" of parts, etc. that, AFAICT, is either not all that
robust/intuitive, or maybe even non-existent in the freebie version?

Dimensions may not be as robust (I've not used the paid version), but
they do exist in the free version. Precision input is also available.

HTH
Bill

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

So to just throw a new wrinkle on this, have you seen the tabletop lift
Rockler sells?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?O...Select=Details

It opens up the table a new way.

Greg

"Sean" wrote in message
Ideas for the next project.

I've been asked for a simple coffee table, which will double as a storage
box. I see the obvious down-side to this being that you have to clear
everything off the table in order to use the box. I considered adding
drawers, in effect making a coffee table sized set of drawers, but think
that I will be tackling something like the attached.

Excuse the draft pictures, but the effect that I am looking for is that
all four sides would look (almost) the same, but on the two longer sides
would be a tilt-out draw, connected to the legs of the table by a thick
dowel, thereby hiding any hardware.

c_table1 - basic finished idea
c_table2 - shows the top cut away and one of the drawers.

Would be interested in thoughts, suggestions, etc.,

Sean

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

The tilt out drawer idea is an interesting idea. But if you
add a drawer pull or two the temptation would be to try
and open it like a drawer rather than a tilt out.

If you could get some springs under the back edge you
might be able to do a push and pop open enough to get
your hand over the top of the front edge. Working out
the spring tension might be a bit of trial and error.

charlie b
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Bob Bob is offline

The lift is designed to lift the top a few inches for dining, not open it up
for getting to storage. It only lifts 6 1/2 inches. It looks like a gadget
without a market to me.

"Greg" wrote in message
So to just throw a new wrinkle on this, have you seen the tabletop lift
Rockler sells?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?O...Select=Details

It opens up the table a new way.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Bob wrote:
The lift is designed to lift the top a few inches for dining, not open it up
for getting to storage. It only lifts 6 1/2 inches. It looks like a gadget
without a market to me.

Somebody ought to clue in the furniture makers then. I've been to a
couple rather large furniture stores in the past few years looking
around. There are a surprising number of "coffee" tables like this
floating around. IF, and that's a big IF, you find yourself dining off
snack tables or balancing a plate on your lap while watching television,
these are just what you need.

"Greg" wrote in message
So to just throw a new wrinkle on this, have you seen the tabletop lift
Rockler sells?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?O...Select=Details

It opens up the table a new way.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Say What?" wrote in message
et...

"Greg" wrote in message
So to just throw a new wrinkle on this, have you seen the tabletop lift
Rockler sells?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?O...Select=Details

It opens up the table a new way.

Whilst I agree that it's a pretty neat idea, I thought that price tag was a
little steep for it.

I am sure that if you wanted, you could build something similar ... at a
fraction of the cost.

That's just my $0.02

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Bob Bob is offline

Associative dimensioning is available in the free version and it works well
and its very easy to use. Angle dimensioning is missing. It took me a
while to "catch the wave" on using Sketchup, but once I caught on, its been
invaluable for preventing mistakes. I am building a real contraption of an
artist easel for my wife right now that has counter weights, pulleys, and
all kinds of moving parts. I could never have done this without sketchup or
a very good cad program. Its really gratifying to cut all he parts like the
drawing says, use a precision dowel jig, and it all fits together like a
factory kit.

Bob

COFFEE TABLE J T Woodworking 3 January 13th 06 04:38 PM
Looking for Coffee Table Ideas. Keith Woodworking 18 December 9th 05 04:12 AM
INSPIRATION - Coffee Table? J T Woodworking 0 November 22nd 05 10:01 PM
Coffee table Alan M UK diy 0 January 20th 04 11:37 AM
My $11 coffee table Bubba Woodworking 10 July 15th 03 11:49 PM