Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default new shop working out well

That's not a shop.....it is a manufacturing facility.!!!! You lucky
dog. My whole shop would fit in one small corner of this. Oh, to
have enough room to work on something without moving stuff around.
On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 11:30:46 -0600, "Tom Plamann"
wrote:

This is for the person who emailed asking me how the new shop was working
out.

It's getting full.

Tom Plamann

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 15:55:29 -0600, BumHead wrote:

That's not a shop.....it is a manufacturing facility.!!!!

Exactly!

So why compare it to a hobby shop? G
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Who said it was being compared to a hobby shop?

I realize that most of us are strictly WW hobbyists, but the name of the
group is ABPW not ABPHW.

Tom works in wood so as far as I am concerned the post is on topic. (I
know, you never said it was OT).
"B a r r y" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 15:55:29 -0600, BumHead wrote:

That's not a shop.....it is a manufacturing facility.!!!!

Exactly!

So why compare it to a hobby shop? G

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 19:10:45 -0600, "Doug Brown"
wrote:
Who said it was being compared to a hobby shop?

I realize that most of us are strictly WW hobbyists, but the name of the
group is ABPW not ABPHW.

Tom works in wood so as far as I am concerned the post is on topic. (I
know, you never said it was OT).

"Bumhead" compared Tom's beautiful, multi-employee manufacturing and
millwork facility to his one-man shop. He didn't say it was OT,
either.

Personally, I'm blown away with Tom's carving, large turnings, and
stair building abilities, but I know of lots of pro facilities that
look like his. G

To Tom P.: Have you ever extended an invitation to "Woodshop News" to
chronicle your success?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Wasn't comparing in a negative way. It is a wonderful "shop". Would
be a fantastic way to make a living working with wood in a place like
that.
What he does with wood is way beyond my talent and skill.

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 23:21:12 GMT, B a r r y
wrote:

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 15:55:29 -0600, BumHead wrote:

That's not a shop.....it is a manufacturing facility.!!!!

Exactly!

So why compare it to a hobby shop? G

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 06:06:59 -0500, BumHead wrote:

Wasn't comparing in a negative way. It is a wonderful "shop". Would
be a fantastic way to make a living working with wood in a place like
that.
What he does with wood is way beyond my talent and skill.

It's impressive!

We had a local guy who was on par with Tom as a stair builder, minus
Tom's carving skills (Tom's extra push over the edge G).

The local guy did lots of work in the Long Island Hamptons and the
local islands on incredible 10,15, and 20 million plus dollar homes.
These are the kinds of places people like Jerry Seinfeld, Gene
Simmons, or Steve Forbes might live in. Unfortunately, he stepped
backwards off of a fourth floor landing while measuring, landing on
his back on the basement floor.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"B a r r y" wrote in message

We had a local guy who was on par with Tom as a stair builder, minus
Tom's carving skills (Tom's extra push over the edge G).

Speaking of carving, did you see on the new where a guy that did work for
Harris Enterprises never got paid? They sub-contracted some work to him on
a $100,000 project and stiffed him for $3200, IIRC. It was on WVIT.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"B a r r y" wrote in message

Simmons, or Steve Forbes might live in. Unfortunately, he stepped
backwards off of a fourth floor landing while measuring, landing on
his back on the basement floor.

I'm just now reaching that age to learn to be careful on a ladder these days
for what may be the same phenomenon: age based, _total focus_ on the task at
hand?

Or just plain forgetfulness ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 01:50:20 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"B a r r y" wrote in message

We had a local guy who was on par with Tom as a stair builder, minus
Tom's carving skills (Tom's extra push over the edge G).

Speaking of carving, did you see on the new where a guy that did work for
Harris Enterprises never got paid? They sub-contracted some work to him on
a $100,000 project and stiffed him for $3200, IIRC. It was on WVIT.

I didn't see that!

I haven't dealt with Harris since Mr. Harris sold his share. Harris
acts like $100k is now a sneezeable project for them, so it's kind of
strange they'd stiff the guy for only $3200. But then again, I'd
heard they were on COD delivery terms from large wood wholesalers.

I wonder if there's more to the story, or if "New Harris" is having
difficulties?
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 09:29:29 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

I'm just now reaching that age to learn to be careful on a ladder these days
for what may be the same phenomenon: age based, _total focus_ on the task at
hand?

Or just plain forgetfulness ...

He was relatively young with small kids...

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"B a r r y" wrote in message
I didn't see that!

I haven't dealt with Harris since Mr. Harris sold his share. Harris
acts like $100k is now a sneezeable project for them, so it's kind of
strange they'd stiff the guy for only $3200. But then again, I'd
heard they were on COD delivery terms from large wood wholesalers.

I wonder if there's more to the story, or if "New Harris" is having
difficulties?

WVIT said they offered to pay the guy if the news pulled the story. Their
side was that they lost money on the job, but that is not the fault of a
subcontractor.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

WVIT said they offered to pay the guy if the news pulled the story. Their
side was that they lost money on the job, but that is not the fault of a
subcontractor.

I totally agree. That's not a good sign for the big "H".