DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   help--Tung Oil (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/94374-help-tung-oil.html)

HandHewn March 9th 05 01:44 AM

help--Tung Oil

Subject: I have a drum of raw tung oil that I would like to polymerize
to use on teak
Date: March 8, 2005 8:21:33 PM GMT+07:00

Hello,
I have a drum of raw tung oil that I would like to polymerize to use on
teak flooring and furniture...
I have searched the net up and down and the most I can come up with is
that it needs to be heated to 240șC in an inert atmosphere... Anyone have
any more info, tips? I have a university lab that would like to help but
they also have not been able to dig up any info... Does anybody know where
I could find this information?
Thank you VERY BIG in advance... ;-) Dennis Linkletter

j.duprie March 10th 05 06:47 PM

I may be wrong (this is from memory, and I can't recall the sources....),
but I'm not sure raw tung oil *will* polymerize without a bunch of
treatment. I think you have to add a bunch of stuff (including some heavy
metals) to make it work.....
--JD

"HandHewn" wrote in message
lkaboutcrafting.com...
to use on teak

Rob McConachie March 13th 05 07:31 PM

I remember reading a while ago (on this NG) about somebody else trying to
polymerize Tung Oil and what I remember is that at the temperature required
to polymerize it, Tung Oil is EXTREMELY familible.

additionally, IIRC, there are drying agents added to it. If memory serves
further, the advice in that thread was to just let it go because it was far
too dangerous and use BLO instead.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Rob

"HandHewn" wrote in message