DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Shop Made Mini-Chuck Photos (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/93170-shop-made-mini-chuck-photos.html)

Ken Vaughn March 1st 05 02:24 AM

Shop Made Mini-Chuck Photos

A recent project required a number of small spindles to be turned on my Jet mini
using 3/4" square stock. I made a mini-chuck to grip the blanks. It is similar
to a 4 jaw independent chuck and it screws onto my headstock spindle. A short
#2MT center is used in conjunction with the tailstock live center to position
the stock.

Photos:
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65..._chuck_use.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65j/mini_chuck.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65...ck_mounted.jpg

More description:

http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65j/otherlathes.html

--
Ken Vaughn
Visit My Workshop: http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/

tb March 1st 05 05:19 AM

ken looks nice, any reason not to use a3/8 or 1/2 drive center! tb

George March 1st 05 12:44 PM

"Ken Vaughn" wrote in message
ink.net...
A recent project required a number of small spindles to be turned on my

Jet mini
using 3/4" square stock. I made a mini-chuck to grip the blanks. It is

similar
to a 4 jaw independent chuck and it screws onto my headstock spindle. A

short
#2MT center is used in conjunction with the tailstock live center to

position
the stock.

Photos:
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65..._chuck_use.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65j/mini_chuck.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65...ck_mounted.jpg

Nice to do things for yourself, isn't it?

I just use the pin jaws for that purpose as well.

Ken Vaughn March 1st 05 02:17 PM

"tb" wrote in message
oups.com...
ken looks nice, any reason not to use a3/8 or 1/2 drive center! tb

No, they would probably work very well, but I don't have one. I have split
small stock with my standard spur center (which doesn't work well on small
turnings) and thought this approach might prevent that problem. I like the
convenience of not having to prepare the stock, other than a very small hole to
accept the point of the center.

Ken

Ken Vaughn March 1st 05 02:45 PM

"George" george@least wrote in message ...

Nice to do things for yourself, isn't it?

I just use the pin jaws for that purpose as well.

I haven't bought a scrolling chuck for the Jet mini yet. It's not really the
money, but I really enjoy making jigs and fixtures from scratch. Hey, I'm
retired and time isn't an issue!

But, while we are discussing scrolling chucks -- is there an acceptable sized
scrolling chuck which would fit both my Jet mini lathe (1" x 8tpi) and also have
an insert for my metal lathe (1.5" x 8tpi) ? I know the Oneway Stronghold will
allow this, but that would be a lot of weight for the small Jet to handle.

Faceplates and accessories made for the PM90 and Conway lathes fit my metal
lathe spindle perfectly, so it is a common 1.5" x 8tpi size.

Ken

George March 1st 05 05:16 PM

"Ken Vaughn" wrote in message
ink.net...

But, while we are discussing scrolling chucks -- is there an acceptable

sized
scrolling chuck which would fit both my Jet mini lathe (1" x 8tpi) and

also have
an insert for my metal lathe (1.5" x 8tpi) ? I know the Oneway Stronghold

will
allow this, but that would be a lot of weight for the small Jet to handle.

Faceplates and accessories made for the PM90 and Conway lathes fit my

metal
lathe spindle perfectly, so it is a common 1.5" x 8tpi size.

Ken

I'm using standard Nova chucks, but I fear that 1.5 x8 inserts are out of
limits. You might have to adapt the 1.5 x8 spindle to 1 x 8 and use the 1
x 8 in the chuck.

Gerald Ross March 1st 05 06:29 PM

Ken Vaughn wrote:
A recent project required a number of small spindles to be turned on my Jet mini
using 3/4" square stock. I made a mini-chuck to grip the blanks. It is similar
to a 4 jaw independent chuck and it screws onto my headstock spindle. A short
#2MT center is used in conjunction with the tailstock live center to position
the stock.

Photos:
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65..._chuck_use.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65j/mini_chuck.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65...ck_mounted.jpg

More description:

http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65j/otherlathes.html

Very ingenious. I did it the lazy way. I made inserts to
fit inside the regular spigot chuck jaws, held in place by
magnets while it is being tightened. Pictures on ABPW.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A diplomat thinks twice before saying