Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Barry N. Turner

Default Mold on Drying Bowl

You guys know I turned a Buckeye bowl a few days ago. Not having a
suitably-sized box for it to air dry in, I decided to use the sports section
of the local newspaper instead. I simply spread the newspaper out, brought
the corners up around the bowl and taped them together loosely.

I checked the bowl this morning and found it partially covered in a white
velvety fuzz........mold!

I went back to the shop after work and sprayed the bowl inside and out with
denatured alcohol until it was sopping wet. Will this kill the mold? I
seem to recall this being a remedy, but can't recall where I heard it. I'm
sure a Clorox bleach solution would stop the mold, but I don't want to
bleach out any of the color. The bowl has little enough color as it is. I
left the bowl unwrapped to dry. Apparently, the sports section was doing
too good of a job. Tomorrow, I will try to find a suitable box.

Has anyone had this problem? How did you fix it? Thanks.

Barry