DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Lilac bush/tree trunk usefull? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/90232-lilac-bush-tree-trunk-usefull.html)

Lynn Coffelt February 8th 05 03:53 PM

Lilac bush/tree trunk usefull?

Yesterday I got some gift, newly cut Lilac trunk and limbs about 4 feet
long (badly misshapen, of course) and ranging in diameter from 3 to 6
inches.
Being an extreme novice woodturner, My question is whether this wood is
better used as turning material or fire wood?
Lynn, NW Washington State

Derek Andrews February 8th 05 08:48 PM

Lynn Coffelt wrote:
Yesterday I got some gift, newly cut Lilac trunk and limbs about 4 feet
long (badly misshapen, of course) and ranging in diameter from 3 to 6
inches.
Being an extreme novice woodturner, My question is whether this wood is
better used as turning material or fire wood?

I made some bottle stoppers from lilac last year and it worked well and
they all sold, so I guess it must have looked nice too:)

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
http://chipshop.blogspot.com

Leo Van Der Loo February 9th 05 02:54 AM

Hi Lynn

Lilac is nice turning wood
It's almost to nice for a beginner to slaughter G
Start turning it now before it al splits up.
And when you have finished turning something put it in a brown paper bag
to slow down the drying, gives the wood more time to change shape and
there is also less of a difference between the inside and outside
moisture level.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Andrew Barss February 9th 05 07:05 AM

Lynn Coffelt wrote:
: Yesterday I got some gift, newly cut Lilac trunk and limbs about 4 feet
: long (badly misshapen, of course) and ranging in diameter from 3 to 6
: inches.
: Being an extreme novice woodturner, My question is whether this wood is
: better used as turning material or fire wood?
: Lynn, NW Washington State

Go for it, but...:

It splits incredibly, so either boil it or otherwise stabilize it as soon
as possible.

It has a *very* strong lilac scent, so ventilate carefully.

It's really pretty, with variegated lines of brown, tan, and purple.

-- Andy Barss

Lynn Coffelt February 9th 05 04:16 PM

Thanks to all for the advice! I'll try a couple of the recommended
Stabilization schemes.
Lynn