harryc

Default Re. Turning Today

I started out today making a small box. I have it roughed out the way I
wanted and I even turned the lid with a finial(not small but with a
shoulder). I even had a second final larger then the first and it wasn't too
bad. I decided I wanted to make a lid that sat inside the bottom,like a plug
and not over the edge. I fitted the lid into the bottom with a nice tight
fit,one that the lid would stay on while I turned the bottom. I wanted to
turn the bottom and the lid so that it looked like one piece( in another
word the bottom top edge would blend over the bottom edge of the lid) I was
shaping the bottom and the lid into curves. I was working forward from the
bottom to the lid with small shearing cuts(least I think they were small
shearing cuts). I had been using small shearing cuts with the gouge and for
the first time I didn't have tearing out. Somehow I got the gouge caught I
guess but the rim around the bottom must have caught and the edge of the
bottom and broke apart.
Other then the gouge getting caught I may have made the lid to large at the
bottom forcing the bottom rim edge to be too thin(less then 1/8) and I did
not set the lid down deep enough inside the bottom. I had about 1/8 extended
out of the bottom rim.
How deep is this type of lid suppose to sit down insdie the base?
Should the lid be mucher smaller at the base-giving the bottom rim more
thickness to set into?
--
Harry