DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   eccentric faceplate usage (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/87675-eccentric-faceplate-usage.html)

william kossack January 22nd 05 04:52 PM

eccentric faceplate usage

I have an interesting chunk of wood I want to turn.

It is part of a maple root ball with lots of points that is nearly
completely round. I was thinking of turning a hollow form from it.

My problem is that the 'ball' is slightly longer than it is thick. If I
was to turn a hollow form the sides would be thick on the long ends
unless I use something like an eccentric faceplate to shift the mounting
along the axis of the long side so I can uniformly hollow out one end
then another.

I've seen a couple eccentric mounting systems online after googling the
topic but one that looks interesting is the kelton because it has
counter weights to help ballance everything.

I would appreciate pointers or exeriences using either the kelton or
another system.