Denis Marier

Default critters tunnelling

I am in the process of finishing a vase made with spalted yellow birch.
I stopped when I saw tunnels made by what could be termites, ants or worms.
I saw no trace of any living critters. The vase looks beautiful but the
sight of these tunnels makes me wonder if I should throw the vase in the
wood stove. I wonder if we really have termites here (New Brunswick, Canada)
with the cold weather? Or could it be tunnels made by ants?

George

"Denis Marier" wrote in message
I am in the process of finishing a vase made with spalted yellow birch.
I stopped when I saw tunnels made by what could be termites, ants or

worms.
I saw no trace of any living critters. The vase looks beautiful but the
sight of these tunnels makes me wonder if I should throw the vase in the
wood stove. I wonder if we really have termites here (New Brunswick,

Canada)
with the cold weather? Or could it be tunnels made by ants?

No termites. If a network of passages, probably carpenter ants. Sweet birch
is a favorite. If here and there an open channel, worms. Channels plugged
with sawdust - grubs.

Peter Hyde

In article , "George" george@least
wrote:

"Denis Marier" wrote in message
I am in the process of finishing a vase made with spalted yellow birch.
I stopped when I saw tunnels made by what could be termites, ants or

worms.
I saw no trace of any living critters. The vase looks beautiful but the
sight of these tunnels makes me wonder if I should throw the vase in the
wood stove. I wonder if we really have termites here (New Brunswick,

Canada)
with the cold weather? Or could it be tunnels made by ants?

No termites. If a network of passages, probably carpenter ants. Sweet birch
is a favorite. If here and there an open channel, worms. Channels plugged
with sawdust - grubs.

I would suggest that before applying any finish you zap the piece in a
microwave for 3-4 minutes. This will be enough to kill off any
undiscovered inhabitants. Sounds like you have some post hole borer
infestation. Very common especially in spalted wood. All my spalted
pieces are zapped as a precaution. I started doing it after I found
little piles of dust around some unfinished mushrooms that I had left
for a few weeks on top of the fridge. Needless to say I quickly did a
recall of similar pieces (a photo opportunity to the clients) and zapped
them all.

--
meet me at: http://www.peterhyde.bravehost.com/