Mike in Mystic

Hi Jonathon,

I know absolutely nothing about turning. I know nothing about art. I DO
know that you're a prick and need to take your egotism and shove it up your
ass. (how do you like THAT language).

Barry N. Turner

Don't waste your time wondering about something that may not even exist.

Barry

"no name given" wrote in message
I've just a read a couple of your posts and was wondering about your
character...

So you're saying he's a Morman...
"Al Kyder" wrote in message
oups.com...
Nothing to do with his website, everything to do with his character. I
suspect he's up to no good lureing young women to his studio when
Shirley's away at her prayer group. I shudder to think what goes on
there when no one is around. Filling thier impressionable heads with
stories of fame and glamour all the while setting his trap to ensnare
them for use in his filthy little game. He's a collector all right and
not just of turnings. It will all come out when his dealings with the
Utah Faction in thier bigamist conspiracy are finally made public.
God Bless,
Al Kyder

Barry N. Turner

Does anyone else on here feel that we were "baited" ? ? ?

Barry

"Paul Kierstead" wrote in message
Jonathon wrote:
Bill & Alun

Thanks for the comments - as you both seem to find the site irritating
and annoying I have a radical solution which can be immediately
implemented - tailored to the individual too.

Dont visit again - clearly it is not suited to you.

There - a customised response to an expressed problem. Thanks for
taking the time and a Happy New Year to you.

Y'know, this is what I hate sometimes. If I had just gone to the website
without reading this thread, I would have marvelled at the incredible
beauty of the turning and admired the look of the website. But, I would
have had to switch browsers and possibly computers as it works very
poorly on Safari an a Mac (my primary browsing machine). I would have
been irritated at the interface mechanics but might have tolerated it.

And I did look at some of it. But I had this sour taste in my mouth
because you, sir, are an asshole. I might normally find some forgiveness
because hey, you are proud of your work and some of the replies have
been blunt and not terribly well-put, but your consistenly nasty replies
are a shame that the great work shown is in any way associated with you.

You have a flair for giving a great look to a website, but you
*seriously* need to tame your ego and learn to look at what people are
saying. They are right, even if it was not well put.

PK

Doug Miller

In article , "Barry N. Turner" wrote:
Does anyone else on here feel that we were "baited" ? ? ?

Sadly, I'm pretty sure we were not.

--
Regards,

Barry N. Turner

Whew! What a thread! I can't remember a thread this long in a long, long
time. But, it has been entertaining, educational and quite revealing.

In view of it, I think a lot of really fine turners may now think twice
about the collections they allow their work into, and subsequently, their
names and reputations associated with. Getting your work into yet another
"collection" may not always be a "good thing".

Given it's current quality, my work may never make it into any "collection",
unless it's my wife's, which is located on top of our refrigerator.

Sometimes, even when people ask quite straight forwardly for "constructive
criticism", all they really want is blathering adoration. Things may not
always be what they appear to be.

As for me, I'll take my leave now. I thought this thread would have died a
natural death long before now, so let me do my part towards that end.

Barry

"Anonymous" wrote in message
newsan.2005.01.02.06.55.23.106069@notarealserver .com...
On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 04:05:31 -0800, Jonathon wrote:

Feedback - so long as it is constructive - welcomed. Any suggestions as
to site enhancement also welcomed. However be warned - flaming will be
posted!

Happy New Year - look forward to seeing some of you during 2005.

Jonathon & Shirley

http://www.thedanielcollection.com
A private collectin of fine turned wood in the UK

The website is visually lavish. The scrolling navigation flies against
convention but isn't terribly hard to learn. It took all of about 30
seconds. It would be helpful to first-time visitors if they were located
somewhere more prominent ... perhaps at the middle of the frame.

The site itself and the full-size pictures are slow to load. On the chance
that the server housing the site is simply swamped at the moment or that
there is some other impediment to fast transmission, I will return in a
day or two. I have 768 / 160K ADSL so it was a surprise to me for the
index page to take a full 30 seconds to resolve.

I don't see or understand what the fuss is about people 'taking' a copy
of one or more photos. Your computer delivered the photos to the United
States and this practice is legal under our laws. What is not legal is for
us to re-distribute them (with or without gain) without accreditation for
incidental use or without permission when the use goes beyond
'incidental'. In other words, I am allowed to retain a copy for my own
use, even printing it out so that I can carry it with me.

I 'took' a copy of two of the pictures for use as desktop backgrounds.
I expect to study them to learn from them and, hopefully, to improve my
own turning. Under our laws regarding copyright, this is permitted. They
will join a photograph of an Irish (my ancestral homeland) sunset and some
pictures from the Hubble space telescope.

If we place your photographs in a book and distribute it without
compensating you, then you have a legitimate complaint. But there really
isn't any foundation for complaint if we take a copy of a photograph for
personal use.

The web site is impressive. Congratulations on a job well done. Comments
about the posting announcing it being spam were ill-considered. The
ensuing debate placed no one in a good light. Hopefully it is over.

Bill

The web sites below are butt-ugly and I have next to no time to improve
them.

--
http://cannaday.us (genealogy)
http://organic-earth.com (organic gardening)

Jonathon

Barry
Thanks for the heads up - am sure collectors will be delighted to
distribute funds elsewhere.
And as I have minimal US representation - your reputations, such as you
believe them to be - are safe.
Bye Barry

Harry B. Pye

A web consultant - care to provide some URLs?
Oh and your opinion - is just that and at the moment has about the same
value to me, in the absence of something a little more concrete, as $1
on the market. Little and going down fast but eminently capable of
revaluation.

Oh, give it up for heavens sake! You sound like a little child who didn't
get the last cookie on the plate. It is your site, make it look however you
want. But...when you ask for opinions or criticism, don't get all bent out
of shape if some of it is negative.

This is a wood turning forum and we have wasted far too much bandwidth on
this trivial subject. Let's get back to turning.

Mike in Mystic

Jonathon, would you be so kind as to show us pictures of your turnings,
since you obviously are a self-proclaimed expert on what perfection in
turning (and, apparently website design) happens to be. I loved the part of
your FAQ where you indicate (paraphrasing now) the criteria you base your
purchase decisions on is 'we know it when we see it'. Boy, that is some
impressive display of your insight.

What I'm most amused by is your inference that US turners (no matter what
quality of their work) should somehow feel grateful for you including them
in your collection. Also, do you honestly feel that because you like turned
wood and have bought a lot of it that you somehow deserve some special
respect?

At the minimum - if you truly want your collection to be esteemed by more
than just your inflated view of yourself - you should include details about
a piece (I mean discussion points, not close-up pictures of construction
details) that give some insight as to what is special about it (in your
opinion, or better yet the artist's). Give the pieces some context. In
this day and age, it is trivial to find examples of turning equal to and in
many cases exceeding in quality the pieces you display, and without the
self-righteousness you exude. Just type "woodturning gallery" into Google
and you'll find countless examples of such sites.

I would love to meet you on a rugby pitch and give YOU a turn with my
forearm.

"Jonathon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Barry
Thanks for the heads up - am sure collectors will be delighted to
distribute funds elsewhere.
And as I have minimal US representation - your reputations, such as you
believe them to be - are safe.
Bye Barry

Jonathon

Ah - your last paragraph speaks volumes - if in doubt resort to
violence. Not would that be indiscriminate carpet bombing or precision
laser targeted - oops they are the same thing.

Trivial examples of turning equivalent to and in many cases exceeding
the quality displayed - WOW you must really be a good turner and a
superb judge, a museum curator perhaps or just an arrogant ass - rich
following on the judgement you made earlier. If you would care to post
your real name, when turners and those we should be looking out for,
both in the US and the UK, I can make sure you are given proper
consideration. Or perhaps you judge a piece by weight?

We buy what we like - in a number of cases, this is in competition with
some US collectors - so clearly we are both lacking in taste. A point
for further discussion perhaps.

Frankly based on your diatribe I could care less what you think about
what we have - your comments bring into serious question your judgement
and the way in which you solve disagreements risible. Get a life.

Jonathon

Ooh and you got both hands on the keyboard to type that? Your Moma
know you are out playing Mike or is it curfew time at the young
offenders yet?

Reported.

Harry B. Pye

Frankly based on your diatribe I could care less what you think about
what we have - your comments bring into serious question your judgement
and the way in which you solve disagreements risible. Get a life.

If you care so little, why do you feel compelled to continue these comments?
Or, is it to once again prove you are the "south end of a northbound horse?"

Jonathon

Reply sent off-list

Mike in Mystic

"Jonathon" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ah - your last paragraph speaks volumes - if in doubt resort to
violence. Not would that be indiscriminate carpet bombing or precision
laser targeted - oops they are the same thing.

I wasn't "resorting to violence", just saying that if we were to meet in
competition on a rugby pitch it wouldn't disappoint me. I'm not going to
fly across the pond just to hunt you down. I'm not pretending to me some
erudite intellectual (I can't wait to hear your retort to that little hook).

Trivial examples of turning equivalent to and in many cases exceeding
the quality displayed - WOW you must really be a good turner and a
superb judge, a museum curator perhaps or just an arrogant ass - rich
following on the judgement you made earlier. If you would care to post
your real name, when turners and those we should be looking out for,
both in the US and the UK, I can make sure you are given proper
consideration. Or perhaps you judge a piece by weight?

As for my turning judgement, I never puported to be even a passable turner
(in fact I specifically stated that I have no such skills or experience).
My whole point was that you have offered no such evidence either, and yet
you still hold judgment as if you are some classically trained prodigy in
the intracacies of turned wood evaluation. More pointedly, why should
anyone care what you think anyway?

We buy what we like - in a number of cases, this is in competition with
some US collectors - so clearly we are both lacking in taste. A point
for further discussion perhaps.

Do you honestly think that simply because you compete in bidding for
something that somehow you've proven it has some special value? I've been
to enough auctions to know that it is no measure of someones insight or
wisdom simply based on how much they can spend on something. It IS a
measure of how much YOU value it, but really that is all.

Frankly based on your diatribe I could care less what you think about
what we have - your comments bring into serious question your judgement
and the way in which you solve disagreements risible. Get a life.

I never said anything bad about your collection specifically - in fact the
few items I bothered to look at WERE quite nice. It is your personal
approach to other's opinions that seem to be questionable.

I'll leave you with a favorite quote of mine that seems more than
appropriate in this case:

"Endowed with a stupidity which by the least little stretch would go around
the globe four times and tie."
- Mark Twain

Have a good time with yourself, Jonny boy.

Harry B. Pye

Reply sent off-list

The off-list reply was NOT appreciated. I spoke to you through this list and
if you feel compelled to reply, do it here. Unsolicited e-mail is considered
spam. So, along with the other things, you are now a spammer.

Owen Davies

Is it just me, or is WoW painfully slow? It feels like MyFamily.com is
running on someone's ancient 286 machine. Too bad, because for me it
makes a really nice site all but unusable.

Owen Davies

Jonathon

And you think that "you're a prick" allied to "shove it up your ass"
reflects well on the US? Perhaps its a dialect thing - but we're not
usually that rude to people straight away.

Harry B. Pye

"Owen Davies" wrote in message
news
Is it just me, or is WoW painfully slow? It feels like MyFamily.com is
running on someone's ancient 286 machine. Too bad, because for me it
makes a really nice site all but unusable.

Owen,

I looked at it earlier and it was really slow. This has been going on for at
least a week. Herman mentioned problems and that he is keeping on top of the
"My Family" folks in an effort to get it resolved. There was some discussion
of putting WoW on a dedicated host and charging users a fee. That will not
likely be resolved until they figure out the problems with the current host.

Harry

Ken Grunke

Jonathon wrote:
Just a post to advise anyone interested that we have updated our
website to include all those pieces purchased during 2004 which we had
not managed to catalogue during the year!

After reading a lot of posts in this thread, I almost passed on taking a
look but finally couldn't resist just out of curiousity.

I found the site quite appealing, and didn't think the up/down arrows to
be counterintuitive at all but I wish they were a bit larger. They were
barely little specks on my 21" screen with 1152 x 870 resolution.

I thought the full size images in a new window, with the click-to-close
feature, was great. Never saw that before.

The artist list jumping back to top after clicking on an artist's name
was a bit annoying, I wish I could suggest a fix for that but my
webskills aren't that advanced.

I think the full name of the artist in the thumbnail frame would be a
nice improvement.

I'm not sure why you recommend a large resolution for the site, it can
be viewed fairly easily in an 800 x 600 pixel window since the page
frame is 700 x 500.

It's a shame this thread had to turn out so negatively, I'm sure it
would have been different if all involved met personally instead.

Ken Grunke
http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/
Coulee Region Woodturners of SW Wisconsin US
http://www.crwoodturner.com/
Owen Lowe

In article .com,
"Jonathon" wrote:

Not been on the newgroups for 2-3 years.

June 6, 2004, to be exact. Prior to that, January 1, 2004. (Not to pick
nits, but I recalled earlier posts concerning the Daniel Collection and
I had a hard time believing it had been 2-3 years since reading them.)

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long
Jonathon

lol - ok - and prior to Jan 04?

Jonathon

Ken

Thanks - a fuller reply reflecting the time and effort you in turn took
has been / will be sent off-list.

Can anyone here please suggest a fix for me to the scrolling problem
without the need for a site-wide rewrite?

Jonathon

Bill Day

On 4 Jan 2005 03:25:01 -0800, "Jonathon"
wrote:

Ken

Thanks - a fuller reply reflecting the time and effort you in turn took
has been / will be sent off-list.

Can anyone here please suggest a fix for me to the scrolling problem
without the need for a site-wide rewrite?

Jonathon

I am late to this thread, and was chagrined at the sad way it
developed early on. I could comment on why I think this happened, but
I think I will forego getting into the fray, and confine my comments
to woodturning and page display/design.

As to the scrolling/display situation, I had early problems because my
default browser is Opera ..(if I click on a link in my newsreader, it
is opened in Opera) . It seems there are 'differences' in how Opera
interprets some features, most noticably color background, which
remains white, no matter what I do. Also, Opera did not originally
recognize scrolling at all, but that seems to have been the result of
some of my settings, which can override the settings of site
designers. (When I tried to change settings, Opera didn't seem to
adapt easily and closed...and even 'seemed' to cause my entire PC to
re-boot to adapt to the new setting... *shrug*)

Fortunately, I often use the Mozilla "Firefox" browser, and upon
opening the page in it, I seem to see the page 'as it was intended'.
....There are still some differences in the two browsers, even beyond
the background color issue.....in Opera, on the 'home' page, the two
arrows originally are smaller, and point at 45 degrees inward, as if
'waiting', then become larger 'up' and 'down' arrows when I mouse-over
the upper one. In Firefox, the arrows are in the full size up/down
configuration at all times.

As to page design and scrolling direction...it took me about 3 seconds
to realize the way the arrows worked...the up arrow moved the text or
list 'up'...etc. I might not have done it this way, but since there
were only two choices, I adapted rather quickly.

Since Opera continues to NOT display the complete page as intended, I
will refer to the Firefox view. (Opera simply does NOT, so far,
display the black background OR the decorative art work/graphic above
the thumbnail panel!)

In Firefox, my impression is of a clean, uncomplicated page with easy
navigation, once I realized what the mouse-over trick was supposed to
do. Nothing detracts from the emphasis on the wood as the point of the
page, and I was able to quickly look at various artists (some of which
I know, and some I don't).....

Regarding the pop-up window with right click 'disabled'....In Firefox,
I get a separate, pop-up, which closes if I right click on it...in
Opera, I don't...it simply opens a 'forward' page, which I could save
easily if I had the inclination.....then I go 'back' to the thumbnail
set again. There 'are' settings in Opera to control how this works,
(and I also use a filter program called "Proximitron' which may
partially control pop-up behavior...have not checked)

As to 'taste' and 'style'...well, my goodness! *grin*...that IS
personal! Anyone who collects shows certain general preferences, just
as anyone who TURNS does! There are many elegant examples of various
artistic preferences shown....and often, as might be expected,
reflecting emphasis on UK/European styles. I see pieces that I would
be proud to have turned, and pieces that I never would have even
tried, as they are not what *I* do...but most seem like excellent
examples in their way.

I do appreciate the comment about wishing to know and meet the
artists, as I hate to sell one of my pieces to someone I have not met.
I do occasionally, in a gallery or 'boutique', where I am not there
constantly....but then I don't get to talk 'wood' with those who
admire it, or tell the story behind the piece, where the tree grew,
why I made the piece curve this way rather than that...etc. It is
important for ME to know where my creations are going...even if, as
often happens, they are slated to be gifts. I am often told, "oh, this
is for my uncle who LOVES wood, and he used to have a Plum
tree."...etc.

In the UK, I am told, there is not nearly as much 'free' wood...fallen
trees and forests and the like, and many artists buy wood
commercially, and I'd think this affects their decision about how to
use it, price it, and market it. I sometimes buy interesting and
exotic wood, but most of what I have is just 'found' wood, and given
to me by friends. (My best sales the last couple of years were pieces
made from roots of Yew shrubs dug up by friends!)

Well, I have rambled, I see....perhaps if I had seen this discussion
earlier, I might have said less, with more thought than trying to sort
it all out at once.

In short....except for the eccentricities of Opera, I like the site,
appreciate 'most' of the works displayed....and note that Jonathan
seems willing to talk wood, design and collecting when the furor over
debating styles dies down..*grin*
....(we humans haven't yet learned to use this virtual medium yet, it
seems....stuff is said that I doubt would ever come up if we all met
in a room together).....

I shall read further 'discussion' with interest...and trepidation)

ßill
Jonathon

Bill

If you would care to let me have your email address - then I will be
very pleased to reply in similarly considered tone off-list.
Thanks

Jonathon

Michael Lehmann

Some very impressive pieces of work.

Website update: Gallery up and running. Ernie Leimkuhler Metalworking 23 June 9th 04 07:35 AM
dust and my furnace (Update 2) Larry Levinson Woodworking 13 January 22nd 04 05:00 PM
OT - WEBPAGE UPDATE T. Woodworking 4 November 19th 03 12:06 AM
Sawdust collection Woodspoiler UK diy 7 September 16th 03 04:24 PM