Jamrelliot

Default Carbide Tip

I've seen several times on this site that carbide woodturning tools aren't as
good as HSS. Seems like the carbide would be much harder or is it too hard, and
likely break.
What about a carbide tipped hollowing tool like an Oland tool where the bit is
replaceable or would a HSS bit be better ?
I'm speaking of metal turning bits here.

TIA
Jim
Leo Lichtman

"Jamrelliot" wrote: (clip) Seems like the carbide would be much harder or
is it too hard, and likely break. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Carbide is very hard, so it holds an edge for a long time, but it is also
brittle, so it will not survive if it is ground to a fine edge. IOW, you
can never make it as sharp as a steel edge.

George

Metal turning is an excellent task for carbide bits. Scraping wood is fine,
as well, since you don't need a thin cutting edge.

For something like the Oland tool you'd braze the carbide onto a tougher
steel backing. Something similar to the Sorby coring tool setup would work.

"Jamrelliot" wrote in message
I've seen several times on this site that carbide woodturning tools aren't

as
good as HSS. Seems like the carbide would be much harder or is it too

hard, and
likely break.
What about a carbide tipped hollowing tool like an Oland tool where the

bit is
replaceable or would a HSS bit be better ?
I'm speaking of metal turning bits here.

Ecnerwal

In article ,
"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

Carbide is very hard, so it holds an edge for a long time, but it is also
brittle, so it will not survive if it is ground to a fine edge. IOW, you
can never make it as sharp as a steel edge.

Precisely. If you want a tool that will cut not quite as well as a steel
tool for a long time, carbide is the ticket. If you want a decent cut,
it's not.

Arch

Hi Jim, Carbon steel tool edges have a short but sharp life. Carbide
tool edges have a long but dull life.

For turning wood, I think that carbide tipped turning tools are like
independent jaw chucks. If you have a green wheel and some carbide
inserted bits, use them as scrapers if you want to, but don't go out and
buy them.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

william_b_noble

carbide is good on a slicing tool or something where the quality of the cut
is not important. HSS takes a good enough edge that you can use it for most
cuts, but be sure to keep a couple of carbon steel (not HSS) around for when
you need a really sharp tool - HSS doesn't take as good an edge as the
softer carbon steel - you can get carbon steel tools sharp enough to shave
with, and you (or at least "I" ) can never do that with HSS
bill
"Arch" wrote in message
Hi Jim, Carbon steel tool edges have a short but sharp life. Carbide
tool edges have a long but dull life.

For turning wood, I think that carbide tipped turning tools are like
independent jaw chucks. If you have a green wheel and some carbide
inserted bits, use them as scrapers if you want to, but don't go out and
buy them.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

johnny rotten

I used to turn urns from oak. Each urn had more than 200 cubin inches
removed from the inside. I made a carbide tiped tool for this. Even though
carbide wouldn't maintain a razors edge, a useable edge will last much
longer with the carbide. I could hog out three urns before resharpening
with a diamond file, regrinding after about 10. HSS wouldn't last even one
urn with out regrinding.

Great for industrial use but if you're a hobby turner not much point.