Walter H. Klaus

I had problems with mine and returned it.

Walter H. Klaus
"Keith Young" wrote in message
Hi

Question

Does anybody Know if the Nova Compac Chuck is shipped assembled, or in
components?

Reason for asking, Mine came assembled and seems to be out of alignment.

Wondering if I may have been sent a returned product.

Sincerely
Keith

Rick

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 08:47:31 -0800, "Keith Young"
wrote:

Hi

Question

Does anybody Know if the Nova Compac Chuck is shipped assembled, or in
components?

Reason for asking, Mine came assembled and seems to be out of alignment.

Wondering if I may have been sent a returned product.

Sincerely
Keith

Mine came assembled. I still have it but just pruchased a Oneway
Talon a couple days ago. Other than stickinh my finger in the path of
the spinning chuck (ouch) I feel it's like night and day difference
withthe Compac. Oh sorry, rambling here, again yes it was assembled.

Rick
billh

"Keith Young" wrote in message
Hi

Question

Does anybody Know if the Nova Compac Chuck is shipped assembled, or in
components?

Reason for asking, Mine came assembled and seems to be out of alignment.

Wondering if I may have been sent a returned product.

Sincerely
Keith

Assembled. If you were able to look at all the posts about chuck problems
relating to the "better chucks", Nova would top the list by a good margin
IMO. I don't know about their lastest model though.
Billh

Lyn J. Mangiameli

Everyone I have seen has come assembled. My early one has always worked
well and I still continue to use it (I really like those smaller 40 mm
jaws that only fit the Compac), but this particular chuck has had more
complaints than any other chuck I am aware of. Teknatool discontinued
manufacture of this chuck quite some time ago. However, one must be
careful when considering a manufacturer's quality by customer complaints
alone, without also considering volume. The way most quality control is
measured in industry is percent return (or failures). For a variety of
reasons (price, distribution, likely return buyers, etc.) Teknatool has
long been the largest selling supplier of woodturning chucks, by far. So
for example, if all chucks had a consistent 5 percent failure rate, a
manufacturer which sold 4 times the volume would have four times the
complaints registered, but the failure rate would actually be the same.
Again, this is only an example, but offer it to illustratethat
complaints alone are not a good marker of one's likelyhood of
satisfaction with a chuck, or a business (same thing applies to a
supplier--businesses that have 20 times the customers ....we have been
there before on this group).

That said, the Compac has had a mixed reports. As I've mentioned, I
really like the chuck, it has a smaller diameter body that any of the
other major chucks, is shorter, and has those nicely sized 40 jaws, all
of which I find make it an excellent choice for holding miniature work,
particularly on smaller lathes with limited between centers distance.Of
course is has also been the least expensive chuck made by a major
manufacturer. Because of these features, I've always considered it a
great SECOND chuck to have for miniature work.

The Talon is an excellent all around chuck for small to medium work.It
also costs approximately twice as much. I have one, I like it and it is
regularly mounted on my mini lathe. Both it and the Compac have a rather
limited number of jaw sets available for them, which is why I consider
both of them not the best choice for an only chuck if one is going to do
a wide range of work.

As I said before, manufacture of the Compac has been discontinued
(actually quite some time ago) and the chuck has been replaced by the
Teknatool Precision Midi. The latter chuck is part of a series of new
generation of chucks from Teknatool that also include the SuperNova2 and
the Titan (all have proven to be outstanding chucks) in my early
experience. The Precision Midi I believe will be just slightly higher
than in price that the Compac, and likely will be the lowest priced
chuck from one of the major manufaturers. It is still lever actuated
(which I don't find a problem for small scale work where the piece can
be easily held in one hand), is larger in diameter, but actually a bit
shorter in height (again, allowing for maximum between centers length on
midi lathes). It takes all the standard Teknatool jaw sets directly,
which is a huge number of jaw sets. Alas, it won't take those nice 40 mm
jaws from the Compac, but instead comes with the industry standard 50mm
size jaws. I could say more, but I am in a review of the new generation
Teknatool chucks that will appear in the next More Woodturning (and
should be available as a pdf on line shortly after publication at

http://www.fholder.com/Woodturning/lyn.html

where many of my other reviews are archived.

So,my recommendation would be for you to return your Compac. There are
many options available, and in the case of the Teknatool Precision Midi,
for only a very small amount additional in cost.

Lyn

billh wrote:
"Keith Young" wrote in message

Hi

Question

Does anybody Know if the Nova Compac Chuck is shipped assembled, or in
components?

Reason for asking, Mine came assembled and seems to be out of alignment.

Wondering if I may have been sent a returned product.

Sincerely
Keith

Assembled. If you were able to look at all the posts about chuck problems
relating to the "better chucks", Nova would top the list by a good margin
IMO. I don't know about their lastest model though.
Billh

Barry N. Turner

I also have an earlier Nova Compac chuck. I couldn't ask for a better small
chuck, provided you give proper consideration to it's limitations of
capacity. I have lost a few blanks using the Compac, but only because I was
taxing the reasonable limits of capacity far too much. I don't really
consider this to be a shortcoming of the chuck, much more likely it was due
to my ineptitude.

Mine was fully assembled and the jaws aligned properly. It's just too small
for the stuff I turn a lot of the time. I have since added a Super Nova
Chuck with several sets of jaws to fit. I have read many complaints related
to the Compac chuck, but have never had any myself. Nova's new Midi chuck
appears to have more possibilities, although I have not yet seen one.

Barry

k.net...

billh wrote:
"Keith Young" wrote in message

Hi

Question

Does anybody Know if the Nova Compac Chuck is shipped assembled, or in
components?

Reason for asking, Mine came assembled and seems to be out of alignment.

Wondering if I may have been sent a returned product.

Sincerely
Keith

Assembled. If you were able to look at all the posts about chuck

problems
relating to the "better chucks", Nova would top the list by a good

margin
IMO. I don't know about their lastest model though.
Billh

George

I have received two mismatched sets of jaws from them. A couple others have
had a questionable delivery as well. That's why I asked. I fettled my
sets into usability, but I think you're doing the right thing by returning.

"Keith Young" wrote in message
Since there is a high complaint rate , there is a greater possiblity that

bought a returned chuck.This chuck has not performed correctly since i
received it!

billh

Keith,
Any of the posts I have read concerning KMS indicated they are very good
people to deal with and you shouldn't have any problems getting satisfaction
from them.
Billh

"Keith Young" wrote in message
Thanks George

Would you happen to know if the others had difficulty getting them to
accept a return.

Sincerely
Keith

"George" george@least wrote in message
I have received two mismatched sets of jaws from them. A couple others
have
had a questionable delivery as well. That's why I asked. I fettled my
sets into usability, but I think you're doing the right thing by
returning.

"Keith Young" wrote in message
Since there is a high complaint rate , there is a greater possiblity
that

bought a returned chuck.This chuck has not performed correctly since i
received it!

George

They sounded more than willing to exchange them, but some filing on the
damaged set, and a touch of alignment space on the mismatch did the job.

Might add, in three Nova chucks and eight sets of jaws, the only problem
I've encountered.

"billh" wrote in message
.. .
Keith,
Any of the posts I have read concerning KMS indicated they are very good
people to deal with and you shouldn't have any problems getting

satisfaction
from them.
Billh

Barry N. Turner

The folks at KMS are very nice to deal with. I bought a Nova Compac chuck
with 4 sets of jaws some time back. The standard 2" jaws would not close
all the way. Neither would the replacement jaws. It took 3 tries to get it
right. I only had problems with the 2" jaws. The others were fine. KMS
didn't even ask me to return the defective jaws. "What would we do with
defective jaws?", was their answer. Just give them a call on their 800
number.

Barry

"Keith Young" wrote in message
Since there is a high complaint rate , there is a greater possiblity that

bought a returned chuck.This chuck has not performed correctly since i
received it!

Keith

"Keith Young" wrote in message
Yes I bought it my KMS and am asking there return mailing directions

with
instructions for how to make sure i,m credited etc.

Keith

"George" george@least wrote in message
Out of curiosity, did you buy from KMS?

"Keith Young" wrote in message
Does anybody Know if the Nova Compac Chuck is shipped assembled, or in
components?

Reason for asking, Mine came assembled and seems to be out of

alignment.

Wondering if I may have been sent a returned product.

Barry N. Turner

Excuse me........make that a Super Nova chuck not a Nova Compac chuck. The
fingers are typing, but the mind is not yet engaged................sorry

Barry

"Barry N. Turner" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

FS: New Rohm Drill Chucks C.S. Mo Metalworking 1 July 9th 06 05:17 AM
why sellers love ebay Todd L Woodworking 31 June 17th 04 06:24 PM
Black and Decker chucks Mike Hide Woodworking 3 February 29th 04 11:46 PM
Shipping Question T. Woodworking 24 February 3rd 04 08:46 PM
OT - Lightweight Ebay shipping fee scam Jim Stewart Metalworking 11 July 20th 03 01:41 PM