Obfuscated

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 20:11:05 -0500, TDUP wrote:

I'm looking for a turners jacket and have looked at the one from Craft
supplies USA.
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...n&key=209-0142

Lee Valley also has a new jacket out but it has sleeves with elastic cuffs
to keep them back on your forearms.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...ry=1%2C 43413

Any suggestions on either. I'm unsure about the Lee Valley because of the
sleeves.

Tim

Keep looking. I saw one online recently that I might be interested in
buying if I can find it again. It had a knit turtleneck to keep chips out
of the top and appeared to be of some hard material such as oil-cloth to
simply shed chips and dust. I think it fastened in the back and that might
be a nice feature because there were no fasteners at all on the front to
get dust clogged.

Bill

mac davis

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 20:11:05 -0500, "TDUP"
wrote:

I'm looking for a turners jacket and have looked at the one from Craft
supplies USA.
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...n&key=209-0142

Lee Valley also has a new jacket out but it has sleeves with elastic cuffs
to keep them back on your forearms.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...ry=1%2C 43413

Any suggestions on either. I'm unsure about the Lee Valley because of the
sleeves.

Tim

damn, I didn't know there was such a thing... interesting..

you're almost talking apples and oranges here... one's basically a
short sleeve shirt and the other is a 2/3 length "smock"...
the one from Craft Supplies really doesn't say how long it is and the
picture doesn't show the bottom..

Of the 2, I think I'd prefer the lee valley, because of the sleeves...
notice that it has velcro to roll them up... but for most of what I
do, I don't know if the length would be a hassle..

sort of like a turners "duster" or a skirt..lol

I think I'll save the money and keep using the shop vac on myself when
I'm done turning..
Bill Rubenstein

I think that Packard now has one. Also, while I didn't see it on their web site, I know that
Paula Nicks at www.dustbeegone.com is selling one also. If you email through their web site
you can find out about the one she is selling.

Bill

In article , says...
I'm looking for a turners jacket and have looked at the one from Craft
supplies USA.
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...n&key=209-0142

Lee Valley also has a new jacket out but it has sleeves with elastic cuffs
to keep them back on your forearms.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...ry=1%2C 43413

Any suggestions on either. I'm unsure about the Lee Valley because of the
sleeves.

Tim

Ecnerwal

In article ,
"TDUP" wrote:

Any suggestions on either. I'm unsure about the Lee Valley because of the
sleeves.

I use a tyvek windbreaker - price $0, since it was being given away with
catfood I was buying anyway, which it advertises, of course. You can buy
similar things (and coveralls, if you prefer) for $cheap without the
advertising on them.

Lyn J. Mangiameli

I'll have a review of the LV Turner's smock in the next issue of More
Woodturning. It should be available as a pdf a week or so later and
will be posted he

http://www.fholder.com/Woodturning/lyn.html

Lyn

TDUP wrote:
I'm looking for a turners jacket and have looked at the one from Craft
supplies USA.
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...n&key=209-0142

Lee Valley also has a new jacket out but it has sleeves with elastic cuffs
to keep them back on your forearms.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...ry=1%2C 43413

Any suggestions on either. I'm unsure about the Lee Valley because of the
sleeves.

Tim

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Tim

If you turn exotic wood like cocobolo, you would want long sleeves, as
exposure to those woods can cause skin rash and worse.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

TDUP wrote:
I'm looking for a turners jacket and have looked at the one from Craft
supplies USA.
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...n&key=209-0142

Lee Valley also has a new jacket out but it has sleeves with elastic cuffs
to keep them back on your forearms.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...ry=1%2C 43413

Any suggestions on either. I'm unsure about the Lee Valley because of the
sleeves.

Tim

dalecue

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...ion&key=209-01

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...ency=2&categor

y=1%2C43413

Any suggestions on either. I'm unsure about the Lee Valley because of the
sleeves.

Tim

damn, I didn't know there was such a thing... interesting..

you're almost talking apples and oranges here... one's basically a
short sleeve shirt and the other is a 2/3 length "smock"...
the one from Craft Supplies really doesn't say how long it is and the
picture doesn't show the bottom..

Of the 2, I think I'd prefer the lee valley, because of the sleeves...
notice that it has velcro to roll them up... but for most of what I
do, I don't know if the length would be a hassle..

sort of like a turners "duster" or a skirt..lol

I think I'll save the money and keep using the shop vac on myself when
I'm done turning..

shop vac --- 0$ because you already own one
old clothes --0$ see above

using the money to buy "turney" stuff instead --- priceless

Dale

Jim Gott

damn, I didn't know there was such a thing... interesting..

you're almost talking apples and oranges here... one's basically a
short sleeve shirt and the other is a 2/3 length "smock"...
the one from Craft Supplies really doesn't say how long it is and the
picture doesn't show the bottom..

Dale,

The Craft Supplies smock is about fingertip length, like a suit coat. It's a
very popular smock among the pros like Raffan, Mahoney, Stuart Batty... I see a
lot of them around at demos.
-Jim Gott-
San Jose, CA
Jim Gott

Keep looking. I saw one online recently that I might be interested in
buying if I can find it again. It had a knit turtleneck to keep chips out
of the top and appeared to be of some hard material such as oil-cloth to
simply shed chips and dust. I think it fastened in the back and that might
be a nice feature because there were no fasteners at all on the front to
get dust clogged.

Bill BRBR

Bill,

Sounds like you're referring to the Packard smock, near the back of the
catalog. A ribbed neck and otherwise like a kitchen apron, made of dark blue
nylon. I have one of those, too, but it doesn't protect the shoulders and my
shirt still gets stained. I'll still use it occasionally if I'm turning small
projects of dry, light colored wood where there aren't a lot of chips.
-Jim Gott-
San Jose, CA

Denis Marier

I have a turner's smock on my wish list.
I was going to discard an old breathable and rain proof sailing jacket.
Then one day I was roughing green blanks. It did not take too long I was
wet and covered with wood chips and wet dust running down my neck. I look
around and saw the old sailing jacket and used it. Since then the old
jacket has a new lease on life and protects me well without sweating,
getting wet and no wood chips are sticking to it.
I can only hope that the Turner's smock advertised are made with material
that has the same quality as my old sailing jacket. FWIW

"Jim Gott" wrote in message
m looking for a turners jacket and have looked at the one from Craft
supplies USA.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...n&key=209-0142

Lee Valley also has a new jacket out but it has sleeves with elastic cuffs
to keep them back on your forearms.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...ency=2&categor
y=1%2C43413

Any suggestions on either. I'm unsure about the Lee Valley because of the
sleeves.

Tim
BRBR

I have the one from Craft Supplies and like it a lot (the green one).
I'm also considering getting the Lee Valley one for times that I turn wet

Claro
Walnut (or any other reactionary wood), as I had a severe rash and

blistering
reaction on my arms the last time with that wood. If I had a long-sleeve

smock
and wore surgical gloves I could still turn what is one of my favorite

woods.
To me the ribbed cuffs make the long sleeves safe.
-Jim Gott-
San Jose, CA

Obfuscated

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 15:54:43 +0000, Jim Gott wrote:

Sounds like you're referring to the Packard smock, near the back of the
catalog. A ribbed neck and otherwise like a kitchen apron, made of dark blue
nylon. I have one of those, too, but it doesn't protect the shoulders and my
shirt still gets stained. I'll still use it occasionally if I'm turning small
projects of dry, light colored wood where there aren't a lot of chips.
-Jim Gott-
San Jose, CA

Nah ... this was made by somebody's wife and had long sleeves ... mebbe
velcro closures in the back.

Lyn J. Mangiameli

Generally they don't. Great sailing, mountaineering and backpacking gear
has had lots of R&D and is now quite refined. Some of my feedback to
manufacturers of turning clothing has been to be more attentive to what
has been accomplished by those groups, and apply it to woodturning gear.
We face many of the same issues: freedom of movement, a lack of bulk so
things don't get caught, good ventilation while at the same time offer
am effective seal from the environment (as you know, the spray off some
wet wood is little better than wind driven rain) and to that we add some
need to resist glue and wood extractives and finishes. In the end,
though, I think we will never see turning equipment of this level, in
large measure because torso clothing is unlikely to be ever considered
survival equipment in the same way as it is for the other groups.

Lyn

Denis Marier wrote:
I have a turner's smock on my wish list.
I was going to discard an old breathable and rain proof sailing jacket.
Then one day I was roughing green blanks. It did not take too long I was
wet and covered with wood chips and wet dust running down my neck. I look
around and saw the old sailing jacket and used it. Since then the old
jacket has a new lease on life and protects me well without sweating,
getting wet and no wood chips are sticking to it.
I can only hope that the Turner's smock advertised are made with material
that has the same quality as my old sailing jacket. FWIW

Andy Dingley

wrote:

I'm looking for a turners jacket

I wear one of these - a French Cheesemaker's Smock
(just call it a "Freedom Smock" if you have to)
http://www.folkwear.com/102.html

It's _very_ easy to sew, as it's all made from rectangles. This
"square and armpit-gusset" pattern also gives an awful lot of arm
freedom.

--
Smert' spamionam