DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Wine Cork ?? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/76144-re-wine-cork.html)

Tom Storey November 14th 04 05:37 PM

Wine Cork ??

Hi Keith. Your method will work but once assembled it is there for good. You
could drill the hole a little undersized and then screw the cork assembly
into the wood. That's how I assemble my wine stoppers.

fwiw, Tom

--
Remove the 'p' from 'shaw' to e-mail me.
"Keith Young" wrote in message
Hi

I recently bought wine corks with a screw attached. The thread appears to
be a metal thread. There was no part supplied to counter sink in the top

or
wood portion. Should I just drill the wood top to accept the screw and
expoxy the screw in the hole.

Any suggestions
Keith
Newfoundland
Canada

e-mail

John McGaw November 14th 04 11:55 PM

"Keith Young" wrote in message
Hi

I recently bought wine corks with a screw attached. The thread appears to
be a metal thread. There was no part supplied to counter sink in the top

or
wood portion. Should I just drill the wood top to accept the screw and
expoxy the screw in the hole.

Any suggestions
Keith
Newfoundland
Canada

e-mail

If the corks are similar to those supplied by Lee Valley then the threads
are standard 1/4-20 and will thread into the appropriate brass threaded
insert available at every woodworking supplier. The idea is to drill your
wood block and then to insert/epoxy the brass insert into it. Then, with a
the appropriately sized bolt held in your chuck you can turn the block fully
to the desired shape, unscrew it from the chuck, and screw in the cork. This
should be a great improvement over the older ones I used to make which had a
3/8 (IIRC) dowel glued into the block and which was supposed to fit into the
cork afterwards but which seldom fit just right because the mere act of
chucking up the dowel usually distorted it.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]