DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   segmented turning question (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/76140-segmented-turning-question.html)

Wizard November 14th 04 04:24 AM

segmented turning question

I would like to try my hand at segmented turning and I'm wondering if I have
the right tools to get started. I have a cheap Delta table saw and Delta
miter saw. I have a 14" band saw and a floor drill press. What other tool
would be helpful? I have been looking at a belt/disc sander. Any help is
appreciated.
Thanks
Dennis

Ray Sandusky November 14th 04 04:39 AM

How about a lathe? You will need one of those!

Why not take the 7 hours it takes to glue up a segmented blank and use it to
get really good at using the skew?

It seems to me that you could also use the 7 hours to turn the vessel and
then get about 15 different colors of paint and make the vessel look like it
was segmented - that would be pretty interesting - come to think of it....

Leo Van Der Loo November 14th 04 04:49 AM

Wiz, a wood turning lathe might be handy, yea I guess you know that
already but it's not on your list.

And a protractor is handy, Others will fill in the gaps I assume.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum12.html