mac davis

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 08:22:19 -0500, "Barry N. Turner"
wrote:

It's been my experience that those kind of people want to use a
"non-harmful" way to run the pests off...
as long as it isn't in the direction of their property...

A few years ago I got interested in varmint hunting, reducing the population
of groundhogs that were overrunning my father-in-laws farm. They were
undermining his barns and pockmarking his pastures with burrows. Cows or
horses (or humans!) could break a leg.

Anyway, I visit a varmint hunting website and a few days later started
getting hate emails from some woman in Pennsylvania who thought I must be
the spawn of Satan. I politely explained the need to reduce the population
and the logic. Her response: "Why not pipe loud music into their little
burrows and maybe they will go somewhere else?" I told her I had no idea
what type of music groundhogs didn't like!

Barry

"AAvK" wrote in message

Same experience with anti-hunters. They will sit in a steak house and
describe the evils of deer hunting.

Hey man, the *sport* of hunting is NOT COOL or acceptable. Hunting for the

purpose
of survival is totaly acceptable. And anyone in a steak house knows that

the meat they
are eating came from the industry where the animals were raised for the

purpose, it
ain't "hunted" wild animal meat. There's nothing wrong with the way I feel

about it.

Alex

mac davis

On 29 Oct 2004 11:57:35 -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

The usual thing to do is to start a sob story about how some evil
loggers were destroying these old rainforests, and how you begged and
pleaded for some meager scraps so you could create something to
remember the poor trees by, and since you seem to care so much about
remembering the plight of the poor old growth trees, wouldn't you like
to buy this lovely bowl so when your friends look at it you can tell
them the sad story of the old growth forests, and how this is all
that's left of those majestic trees? ;-)

"it was SO traumatic... the tree killed itself before we could stop
it"

Mark Hopkins

Memebership in the Great American Whitetail Assault Force & Dining Club is
free for a limited time only.... Join Today!!!!!

"Arch" wrote in message
Many thanks George. You have turned the tree huggers against the white
tails. Maybe the Green People will let up on us now and you and Glenn
can turn some western white and cypress. There's hope!

Turn to Safety, Arch

Fortiter,

ted harris

In news:Marty Feldman typed:
"ted harris" wrote in message
In news:AAvK typed:
Hey man, the *sport* of hunting is NOT COOL or acceptable. Hunting for
the purpose
of survival is totaly acceptable. And anyone in a steak house knows
that the meat they are eating came from the industry where the animals
were raised for the purpose, it ain't "hunted" wild animal meat.
There's nothing wrong with the way I feel about it.

Alex

Hey Alex,
Why don't you do a little research on the subject before you form an
opinion? Or are you one fo those tree huggers that thinks a deer
shouldn't be shot because it's cute, or pretty. Gimme a break. What
you don't know is that the deer population would starve to death and
possibly become extinct if it weren't for the hunting season. Besides,
about 99.999 percent of the people that hunt actually eat it!

i don't think killing a defenseless animal is much of a sport. now,
if the animal can somehow kill you if you mess up, that's something.

And if you will notice, I am not the one that said it was a sport.
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

(remove .NOJUNK to reply)

Marty Feldman

"AAvK" wrote in message news:xFXgd.70864$bk1.30664@fed1read05...
yeah, but was the deer wearing camo? dressed up like a streetwalker?
fishnet stockings and red lipstick? hiv positive?

Mr. Feldman I thought you were dead, huh? So you went into hiding and took up
turning as a hobby or what? How's that hump anyway... does it still shift from
one side to the other?

Alex

i have resurrected.
RonB

An analogy - Years ago a friend of ours built a show-quality roadster. We
stopped one evening at a fast food spot and the usual small group surrounded
it to compliment and ask questions. One admirer in particular punctuated
his praise with "I wish...." (I wish I had the place to do this, I wish I
had the money, ...had the tools, .........had the time, etc.). As we were
waiting inside for our order, this fellow backed his pickup up behind the
roadster and pitched his cup of ice and soda into the open cockpit of the
car, and took off. While cleaning the mess out of the car we wondered why.
The only thing we could come up with was stupid envy.

So, why does a person take time to go to a craft fair and then criticize the
materials used in the crafts? Stupid envy?

Barry N. Turner

Have you ever considered getting into politics?

Barry

"AAvK" wrote in message

So, Alex............are you into turning because you need the
bowls.........or for the "sport" of it?
Honest answer, now!

Honest answer:

That is kinda like "neither nor there". See? I do not turn wood, am not a

tree
hugger either. I pay attention in this NG because I am an enthusiast. I

would
like to be able to have a lathe, but considering my current living

situation, I
cannot. If I was doing it, it would be for the anything I could make, the

art
and the beauty of it as well, possibly for makin' some dollars too. Some

things
I have seen are strictly mind-blowing.

Honest enough for you?

Alex

Greg G.

RonB said:

As we were
waiting inside for our order, this fellow backed his pickup up behind the
roadster and pitched his cup of ice and soda into the open cockpit of the
car, and took off. While cleaning the mess out of the car we wondered why.
The only thing we could come up with was stupid envy.

So, why does a person take time to go to a craft fair and then criticize the
materials used in the crafts? Stupid envy?

In the case of the "gentleman" at the drive in, just plain stupidity.
And begging for an ass-whipping - which he would have promptly
received. Some behaviors are beyond excuse - unbelievable!

Greg G.

RonB

In the case of the "gentleman" at the drive in, just plain stupidity.
And begging for an ass-whipping - which he would have promptly
received. Some behaviors are beyond excuse - unbelievable!

He was long gone before we even go to the pop-drenched car. Point is the
fellow at the craft show was trying to do an equally effective job of
throwing ice on glen's cypress bowl project.

AAvK

Mr. Feldman I thought you were dead, huh? So you went into hiding and took up
turning as a hobby or what? How's that hump anyway... does it still shift from
one side to the other?
Alex

i have resurrected.

Just jokin' with ya, on the "Young Frankestein" movie with the great Marty Feldman as Igor.
No offense intended.

Alex

anonymous

Marty Feldman wrote:

i don't think killing a defenseless animal is much of a sport. now,
if the animal can somehow kill you if you mess up, that's something.

Marty, I agree with you. That's why, one afternoon MANY years ago, I stalked
one up near Camp Graying in Michigan with only a 6" knife in my hand. I was
reaching for him with my off hand when he bolted.

But I got close enough to touch.

Bill

PS ... Probably some of you will be tempted to call me a liar. I can't say
that I blame you because what I did is definitely out of the ordinary. But
you weren't there and I was. The deer sensed me a long time before he could
figure out where I was. My hand was about a foot from his antlers when he
figured out where I was and left outta there like hooved lightning. Had I
moved just a little faster, the story would have had another ending. Not
certain I would have been alive to tell it, though.