DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   So where can a guy buy a halfway decent 3/4" gouge for $15 or so? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/74930-so-where-can-guy-buy-halfway-decent-3-4%22-gouge-%2415-so.html)

buck October 28th 04 05:39 AM

So where can a guy buy a halfway decent 3/4" gouge for $15 or so?

Not everyone wants to spend $50 for a Sorby.... especially us novices.
-Thanks

Ken Moon October 28th 04 05:49 AM

"buck" wrote in message
rvers.com...
Not everyone wants to spend $50 for a Sorby.... especially us novices.
-Thanks

=============================
Try Ebay. They periodically have some older carbon steel gouges, usually in
"sets" of 2 or more.

Andy Reynolds October 28th 04 07:05 AM

I haven't tried them, but I've seen a brand called Benjamin's Best in one of
the catalogs, but I don't remember which. They are labeled as M2 HSS and
the prices are pretty low. If you search the web for "Benjamin's Best" and
gouge, you'll find a few dealers in the brand. Again, I haven't tried them,
so I can't make any claim to their quality.

Andy

rvers.com...

AAvK October 28th 04 09:28 AM

I haven't tried them, but I've seen a brand called Benjamin's Best in one of
the catalogs, but I don't remember which. They are labeled as M2 HSS and
the prices are pretty low. If you search the web for "Benjamin's Best" and
gouge, you'll find a few dealers in the brand. Again, I haven't tried them,
so I can't make any claim to their quality.
Andy

Please pardone me while I act like a computer... as an example of searching in
Yahoo's google engine (which is highly modified)...

Search: "Benjamin's Best", 2nd result worth somthing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=4332765059 box says
Benjamin's Best and PSI Woodworking, new window / search "PSI Woodworking"
result: http://www.psiwoodworking.com/ link on page to their retail site is for
Penn state industries: http://www.pennstateind.com/ and featuring Benjamin's Best
tools for sale. BUT... Harbor Freight's 8 piece full size HSS set for 35$, $40 in store
are highly beloved, as I have seen much of in these groups. And in a fitted wood box.
spend $50 and over, shipping is free.

Alex

Dan Kozar October 28th 04 11:58 AM

In article s.com,
"buck" wrote:

Not everyone wants to spend $50 for a Sorby.... especially us novices.
-Thanks

Buck,

Try Grizzly or Sears

--
Dan Kozar

remove NOSPAM

Denis Marier October 28th 04 12:22 PM

As a try out I bought one Benjamin's Best 3/4" DIAMOND SIDE CUTTING
SCRAPER - 16" L for $26.00 CAD (about $20.00 USD). The handle is of the
average quality. I am having difficulty to rate this M2 tool steel. It
works well, grinds well and keeps its edge well. The color of the grinding
sparks are the same as Crown or Sorby.
I have noticed that the original grinding angle had to be fine turned to my
needs.
I concluded that the original grinding and sharpening of this tool was not
at part with higher priced tool. However, for that price the quality of the
M2 HSS impresses me.
The best way to validate the quality of Benjamin's Best M2 HSS is to get
more feedback from woodturners using it.