Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Arch

Default In a fit of desperation, he clutched his Jet-Mini.

This morning I needed to start a large unbalanced blank at below my
mini-Jet's lowest speed. Je me suis-je dit! (French for slap upside my
head) "why not use the lever that loosens the belt as a slipping belt
clutch"? It didn't completely stop the lathe, but only light pressure
on the handwheel before starting did. Then the lever ramped up the
spindle easily and smoothly. Viola!

As shown in Del Stubb's video, increasing the lever's range, adding foot
pedal control and a dowel to keep the belt from being thrown away from
the back of the pulley thus tightening the front might all improve my
Scotsman's VS/clutch, but I need it so seldom why bother?

This dodge was new to me, but if every Mini-Jet owner on rcw but me
knows about it, please yawn and forgive my enthusiasm...and my French. I
mean well.

'Turn to Safety', Arch.

Fortiter,