DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sanding tool. (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/74526-sanding-tool.html)

Andrew Morrison October 25th 04 07:33 AM

Sanding tool.

Hi, I remember seeing an article with instructions on how to make a Sorby
like sander with a wooden handle. Unfortunately I can't find the article
now. Does anyone know where I can find it.

Cheers

Andy.

Lobby Dosser October 25th 04 08:17 AM

http://www.aroundthewoods.com/sanding.shtml

Bjarte Runderheim October 25th 04 11:23 AM

"Andrew Morrison" skrev i melding
Hi, I remember seeing an article with instructions on how to make a Sorby
like sander with a wooden handle. Unfortunately I can't find the article
now. Does anyone know where I can find it.

I made mine without an article:

1 piece of wood 20x50x300 millimeters
No cost.

2 sealed bearings, inner hole 6 mm, which is same as
diameter of Sorby spindle-shaft, outer diameter not important,
but good if it is same as one of your forstner-bits.
Cost: $15

1 Sorby spindle (ready with sponge and velcro)
Cost $35

Some epoxi glue.

In my case, the spindle was a little too thick to enter the hole
in the bearings, so I had to sand to get close. I do not know if this is
important, but I cooled the spindle with ice from the freezer to shrink
it into the bearings. It still took some adjusting (read: sanding).

Drill hole in the wood for the bearings, shape handle.

When both bearings are in place, fasten in handle with epoxi,
each bearing flush with each side of the handle.

My "new" Sorby sanding tool has so far lasted med for over one year.
but now the velcro is a bit worn, and I am planning to change the spindle.

Good luck.

Afterthought:
At the prices Sorby charge for their sander, it is not very handsome on
their part, that the sealed bearings are not already the-|

Bjarte

Derek Hartzell October 25th 04 05:26 PM

www.hdv.net Click on "Tools & Tips".

william_b_noble October 27th 04 05:43 AM

There is an article on how to do this at www.woodturners.org (tips
section), I may have a copy on my web page also,
www.home.labridge.com/~wnoble that article was the genesis of an
article in the Spring 2004 "woodturning design" (by me, of course)

hope this helps

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 09:26:52 -0700, "Derek Hartzell"
wrote:

www.hdv.net Click on "Tools & Tips".

Bill