DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   need candle stick holder help (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/71310-re-need-candle-stick-holder-help.html)

Ken G. September 28th 04 01:50 AM

need candle stick holder help

Dan Parrell wrote:
Hi all,
I've been comissioned to do a bunch of candle stick holders and was
wondering if someone can steer me in the right direction or web site. I have
to make about a dozen different holders for a craft fair and would like to
view different styles and shapes to get some ideas.
Thanks in advance
Dan

Try eccentric turning:

http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/ecc/old/index.html

Scroll down to the very bottom.

You can turn these between centers also, just offset-turn each section
about 1/4" from center on three different axii about 120 degrees apart.
While at actual center, turn a mounting spigot for your chuck at the
base for boring out the candle cup hole after everything else, then
reverse mount the cup on a jam spigot in the headstock with the
tailstock into the base's center to finish off the bottom.
Feel free to vary this technique, it's just a suggestion.

Ken Grunke

James R. Shields September 28th 04 05:49 PM

A couple of suggestions. Matched pairs are usually more welcome. Packard
Woodworks sells a brass or silver holder and base if you want to get fancy.
I use a forstner bit to put a hole in each end of the ones I make. They
usually look good with either end up. As for styles and shapes...just heep
turning until you like what you see.