DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   1" x 6" test tubes (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/69149-1%22-x-6%22-test-tubes.html)

Ralph J. Ramirez September 26th 04 01:22 AM

1" x 6" test tubes

Anyone know a good source for 1"x6" test tubes. Craft Supplies has some but
they are flared at the top, I prefer the standard rolled top. I only need
to purchase about 10 of them so I can't go to a wholesaler as they sell in
bulk. Thanks in advance.......Ralph

http://www.elegance-in-wood.com/

Graycoyote September 26th 04 02:31 PM

Ralph, try this: http://www.sciencestuff.com/prod/L-testTubeX/1016-16

I'm not sure if the tops are flared or not. As I recall, the
suppliers are rapid shippers.

Jack

njf>badger September 27th 04 09:36 AM

Ralph J. Ramirez wrote:
Anyone know a good source for 1"x6" test tubes. Craft Supplies has some but
they are flared at the top, I prefer the standard rolled top. I only need
to purchase about 10 of them so I can't go to a wholesaler as they sell in
bulk. Thanks in advance.......Ralph

http://www.elegance-in-wood.com/

Cole-parmer seem helpful

Ralph J. Ramirez September 28th 04 12:11 AM

Thanks to Leif and Jack (Graycoyote) for their source for test tubes. I
ordered some today. This newsgroup is really a wonderful group to get
information from.......Ralph

Ken G. September 28th 04 07:54 PM

If you find a good deal on unflared tubes, it's easy to flare them
yourself with a propane torch on the lathe.

Drill a hole for a slightly loose fit for the tubes in a scrap piece of
wood held in a chuck on the lathe. The fit should hold the tube without
wobbling, but to be able to remove and insert a tube while the lathe is
running.
Insert the tube in the spinning hole, play the torch on the end for the
desired flare, then with a gloved hand remove it and put in another one.

I did a box of 100 in about 40 minutes.

Ken Grunke