Mike Rinken

Default Online resource for Elm

Anyone have a good one?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Bob Darrah

Look on www.woodfinder.com

Bob Darrah
West Linn, Oregon
"Mike Rinken" mwrinken at gmail dot com wrote in message
news:bf636$41533f3f$41a9ca42$31423@allthenewsgroup s.com...
Anyone have a good one?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Maxprop

"Mike Rinken" mwrinken at gmail dot com wrote in message

Anyone have a good one?

My front yard, about a year ago. You could have had the entire Siberian Elm
tree, if desired.

Max

Ray Sandusky

Mike

Are you looking for information about the species or looking to buy some?

If you want information about the species you may go to any of the
following:

http://www.arborday.org/trees/treeid.cfm

http://www.treeguide.com/

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrol...uamericana.htm

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrol...uamericana.htm

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/forestry/...lmamerican.htm

http://www.libertyelm.com/about.htm

Enjoy!

Ray

PS: you may also do a google search!

Mike Rinken

Ray Sandusky wrote:
Mike

Are you looking for information about the species or looking to buy
some?
If you want information about the species you may go to any of the
following:

http://www.arborday.org/trees/treeid.cfm

http://www.treeguide.com/

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrol...uamericana.htm

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrol...uamericana.htm

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/forestry/...lmamerican.htm

http://www.libertyelm.com/about.htm

Enjoy!

Ray

PS: you may also do a google search!

I'm looking to buy some. thanks!

Mike

Ecnerwal

In article ,
"Mike Rinken" mwrinken at gmail dot com wrote:

I'm looking to buy some. thanks!

I have some small-diameter elm logs (they were where my driveway to the
shop is now), and a huge backlog of other work to do (like get the shop
closed in before winter). Where are you at, and what are you looking
for? Big elm is a bit on the scarce side due to dutch elm disease,
though you can sometimes find a great deal when one of the few big trees
that's managed to hang on gives up the ghost. I'd guess what I have cut
is in the 4-6 inch range, long log, unprocessed in any way thus far, and
located in Vermont.

Mike Rinken

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
"Mike Rinken" mwrinken at gmail dot com wrote:

I'm looking to buy some. thanks!

I have some small-diameter elm logs (they were where my driveway to
the shop is now), and a huge backlog of other work to do (like get
the shop closed in before winter). Where are you at, and what are you
looking for? Big elm is a bit on the scarce side due to dutch elm
disease, though you can sometimes find a great deal when one of the
few big trees that's managed to hang on gives up the ghost. I'd guess
what I have cut is in the 4-6 inch range, long log, unprocessed in
any way thus far, and located in Vermont.

I'm making kitchen utensils for Christmas presents this year and I'm
turning blanks that are 1 - 1 1/2 inches x 2 1/2 inches about 12-14"
long. Depends on the utensil, but I've found (through painstaking
cooking research ) that a longer handle is more versatile, so some
are 12" and some are 14". The handle turns well at 1 - 1 1/2 inches
and the end is about the perfect size at 2 - 2 1/2 inches. I run the
grain along the piece for strength and the grain pattern on Walnut
looks good, and I'd love to see some of the red in the elm come out.

That said, I'm in Colorado and I've had lots of offers emailed to me (thanks
all!!!) but shipping seems to be the detriment here.

Of course at the sizes I'm talking about above, you can get lots of blanks
out of 1 log, I just need to find the log.

Incidentially, I lived in Minnesota growing up and I can't tell you the
number of trees my father and I cut down due to dutch elm disease and oak
wilt. I now cringe at the thought of burning all of that beautiful wood.
If only I knew I'd become a woodworker I could have had a ton of white oak,
red oak, and Elm for projects. Oh well!!!

Owen Lowe

In article m,
"Mike Rinken" mwrinken at gmail dot com wrote:

I'm making kitchen utensils for Christmas presents this year

Have you turned any elm recently? Maybe it depends on the specific tree,
but the couple of trees I've gotten wood from have a very distinct odor
that is distasteful in the couple kitchen stirrers and flippers I've
made from it. Just my 2 cents.
Josh Brower

I have tons of elm at the right price green. www.thinwood.com Josh

"Mike Rinken" mwrinken at gmail dot com wrote in message
news:bf636$41533f3f$41a9ca42$31423@allthenewsgroup s.com...
Anyone have a good one?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Shopping & Working Online Has Never Been So Simple AMA Electronics Repair 0 July 23rd 04 01:39 PM
Online Sheet-Metal Layout Center Opens Andrew Metalworking 0 July 9th 04 03:28 PM
Online Critiques AHilton Woodturning 27 April 13th 04 04:35 AM
European DW788 not manufactured anymore, online stores? Ken Mattsson Woodworking 1 January 6th 04 05:37 AM