Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Bob Darrah

Default Desert Ironwood

I inherited a sizeable stack of Desert Ironwood when a carver of totem poles
passed away. It had been left in the rain and some of it rotted but there is
enough to make some bowls, boxes and pen blanks and keep me going for about
a year. It is beautiful wood. I know it is rare to find this wood in larger
pieces and mine go as big as 4 ft long and 12 inches in diameter. Most of it
is 3-4 inches thick and 10-12 inches wide.

I've never turned this wood before so would love any hints on cutting,
turning and finishing.

Thanks,

Bob Darrah
West Linn, Oregon