Stephen DiCenso

Default Turning Sweetgum

Anyone ever turn Sweetgum. I have some and have access to more if it is any
good. I was the result of Hurricane Francis.

David Wade

Stephen,

It turns well, but can be prone to tearout when wet. One of my early
favorite pieces was sweetgum. Out west we know it as liquidambar (or as
others are prone to misguess, Liquid Amber). Because it is generally
planted in yards and parkways out here it tends to grow very fast with
huge growth rings. With luck your source is from slower growth.

David

--
http://www.wademade.net

RESPITE95

"poor man's walnut" turns well when it is not green. It will take stains, much
like poplar I believe, but it does turn darker as it ages. I am not impressed
with the grain or look of the wood, but with some stain it looks ok. You can't
split it, the wedge will just sink into the wood, you will have to saw a log in
half for bowl turning, but then again your bowl will not likely split either.
GCS
JoanD'arcRoast

In article , Stephen DiCenso
wrote:

Anyone ever turn Sweetgum. I have some and have access to more if it is any
good. I was the result of Hurricane Francis.

Yes. The heartwood is nice enough. Lightweight, soft, greenish yellow
color, very fine-grained details that glitter slightly [iridescence?]
and some minor chatoyance. The sapwood checked horribly, but the
heartwood dried well, and rather quickly. Probably too soft for any
practical applications, but okay for an "object". I think exposure to
sun would turn it a rusty red color...

Doubtless not everyone's cup of tea, but for free, you might.