DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Beall Buffing for Cocobolo (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/67724-beall-buffing-cocobolo.html)

S S Law NH September 3rd 04 12:34 PM

Beall Buffing for Cocobolo

Has anyone used the Beall buffing system for cocobolo/ How long would the
shine last under very limited handling/
TIA
Jay Sweeney in NH

DJ Delorie September 3rd 04 02:26 PM

(S S Law NH) writes:
Has anyone used the Beall buffing system for cocobolo/ How long would the
shine last under very limited handling/

If you want to stop by my shop, you can try it for yourself. BYOW
although I might have a cocobolo pen blank somewhere.

Private email for directions - I'm in Deerfield.

Jim Gott September 3rd 04 05:40 PM

Has anyone used the Beall buffing system for cocobolo/ How long would the
shine last under very limited handling/
TIA
Jay Sweeney in NH
BRBR

Jay,
I have used the Beall system on a lot of cocobolo, and it works great. I finish
the cocobolo with Deft lacquer after sanding to at least 400 (sold as Deft
clear wood finish, a brushing lacquer) cut 50/50 with lacquer thinner and apply
with a rag. Then I buff with the Beall and get a great shine and silky feel.
I've had no problems with handling.
Alternately, I've also sanded to 1500 with no finish and buffed with the Beall
for almost equal results, but the silky lacquer feel isn't there.

-Jim Gott-
San Jose, CA

S S Law NH September 3rd 04 07:06 PM

Thanks to all.

Jay Sweeney

Chuck September 3rd 04 07:20 PM

On 03 Sep 2004 11:34:06 GMT, (S S Law NH) wrote:

Has anyone used the Beall buffing system for cocobolo/ How long would the
shine last under very limited handling/

First, I've never used the Beall system on cocobolo, but, I've
turned a lot of cocobolo and I can tell you that it is a _hard_ wood,
and if you get an ultra-smooth finish on it from sanding alone, (it is
also a very oily wood), it will stay bright under a lot of handling.
You can easily wipe off fingerprints and smudges with a cotton cloth
or piece of paper towel. The Beall system is going to help you
achieve that finish-less shine and the final wax, I believe, is a very
hard, durable finish. Because of the oily nature of the wood, you
won't need anything at all under the wax for a bright, long-lasting
shine.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Bill Rubenstein September 3rd 04 09:29 PM

The Beall system does beautifully on cocobolo and all the dense exotics.

Since the finish is carnauba wax, it will last as long as any other hard wax finish and can
be easily renewed.

You might want to consider using a sanding sealer or shellac before you start the Beall.

Bill

In article , says...