Denis Marier

Default Need help to identify an old gouge

I was given an old rusted gouge. The handle of this gouge looks mediocre.
When removing the rust the stamping read: Robt. Sorby, caststeel. Beside the
name was an Iron Cross also stamped. On the other side I also found a
stamped figure that appears to be a Buddha in meditation? I wonder how old
is that gouge and who were the original tool makers?

Bjarte Runderheim

"Denis Marier" skrev i melding
I was given an old rusted gouge. The handle of this gouge looks mediocre.
When removing the rust the stamping read: Robt. Sorby, caststeel. Beside

the
name was an Iron Cross also stamped. On the other side I also found a
stamped figure that appears to be a Buddha in meditation? I wonder how

old
is that gouge and who were the original tool makers?

Try this:

www.robert-sorby.co.uk/

Bjarte

Alun Saunders

Bjarte Runderheim wrote:

"Denis Marier" skrev i melding

I was given an old rusted gouge. The handle of this gouge looks
mediocre. When removing the rust the stamping read: Robt. Sorby,
caststeel. Beside the name was an Iron Cross also stamped. On the
other side I also found a stamped figure that appears to be a
Buddha in meditation? I wonder how old is that gouge and who were
the original tool makers?

Try this:
www.robert-sorby.co.uk/

On the section on the website about the history of the Robert Sorby
company there's mention of a Kangaroo trademark ... could look a little
like a Buddha I suppose if it was rusty enough

--
Alun
Denis Marier

Thanks for the information. I read the company history and find it
interesting.
While the Kangaroo trademark is mentioned nothing is said about the Iron
Cross stamped beside the name of: Robt. Sorby. I have remove the rust, made
a handle and sharpened the gouge. It works good but requires frequent
sharpening in hard wood. I compared it to carbon steel and HSS. The
Sorby's caststeel came in third. When caststeel was first introduced it
must have been the best material for edged tools in those days.
Now that the gouge is in good shape I'll kept it as a collection item.
Maybe some day I'll find out what year it was made.

"Alun Saunders" wrote in message
Bjarte Runderheim wrote:

"Denis Marier" skrev i melding

I was given an old rusted gouge. The handle of this gouge looks
mediocre. When removing the rust the stamping read: Robt. Sorby,
caststeel. Beside the name was an Iron Cross also stamped. On the
other side I also found a stamped figure that appears to be a
Buddha in meditation? I wonder how old is that gouge and who were
the original tool makers?

Try this:
www.robert-sorby.co.uk/

On the section on the website about the history of the Robert Sorby
company there's mention of a Kangaroo trademark ... could look a little
like a Buddha I suppose if it was rusty enough

--
Alun

Alun Saunders

Denis Marier wrote:
Thanks for the information. I read the company history and find it
interesting.
While the Kangaroo trademark is mentioned nothing is said about the Iron
Cross stamped beside the name of: Robt. Sorby. I have remove the rust, made
a handle and sharpened the gouge. It works good but requires frequent
sharpening in hard wood. I compared it to carbon steel and HSS. The
Sorby's caststeel came in third. When caststeel was first introduced it
must have been the best material for edged tools in those days.
Now that the gouge is in good shape I'll kept it as a collection item.
Maybe some day I'll find out what year it was made.

I'm sure if you send an email to Robert Sorby with a photo of the gouge
attached, they'd be glad to identify it for you. I've met a few people
from Sorby at various demos and suchlike and they're friendly enough
Who knows, they might even buy it off you for the company museum!

--
Alun

Ray Sandusky

Denis

If this gouge had any antique value, you lost it all when you replaced the
handle and reshaped the cutting edge - you might want to find out exactly
what you have in the future before you do an overhaul - it could have been a
collectors item, now it is just an old gouge that was reconditioned - not
valuable.

Ray

Bjarte Runderheim wrote:

"Denis Marier" skrev i melding

I was given an old rusted gouge. The handle of this gouge looks
mediocre. When removing the rust the stamping read: Robt. Sorby,
caststeel. Beside the name was an Iron Cross also stamped. On the
other side I also found a stamped figure that appears to be a
Buddha in meditation? I wonder how old is that gouge and who were
the original tool makers?

Try this:
www.robert-sorby.co.uk/

On the section on the website about the history of the Robert Sorby
company there's mention of a Kangaroo trademark ... could look a little
like a Buddha I suppose if it was rusty enough

--
Alun

Denis Marier

This may be true. I was anxious to remove the rust so I could read the
stamped manufacturer's name. The original handle had already been replaced
with a short odd looking softwood handle. The cutting edge of the gouge was
badly damaged.
I reshaped the cutting edge and Identified the color of the sparks to be
orange.
Next time I'll know better and leave the tool in the shape if was found in.
I have sent pictures to Sorby and they are sending me a booklet on the
history of Robert Sorby. This might held be to identify the year it was
made and the composition of the caststeel.