DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   craiglist scams (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/610302-craiglist-scams.html)

Electric Comet May 5th 18 05:06 PM

craiglist scams

many ways that scams go on on craigslist

they send a check that is over the amount of the item
they go after high dollar items so they can make a bigger haul

you list your lathe for 4000 and they purposely send you a check for
5000

they say ooops i sent too much can you send me the 1000 back
or maybe even say send me 950 since i caused this problem

of course their check is no good

best way to handle this is only take cash
or if the check is written on a bank nearby take the check to that
bank

the bank will tell you right away if it is real

some sellers will actually accept a check and give the buyer the
lathe and pay them the over amount

losing a lathe and cash

if i am offered a check in person i say sure
i will drive us both to that bank right now and we can cash it together

Graham May 5th 18 07:20 PM

craiglist scams

On 2018-05-05 10:06 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
many ways that scams go on on craigslist

they send a check that is over the amount of the item
they go after high dollar items so they can make a bigger haul

you list your lathe for 4000 and they purposely send you a check for
5000

they say ooops i sent too much can you send me the 1000 back
or maybe even say send me 950 since i caused this problem

of course their check is no good

best way to handle this is only take cash
or if the check is written on a bank nearby take the check to that
bank

the bank will tell you right away if it is real

some sellers will actually accept a check and give the buyer the
lathe and pay them the over amount

losing a lathe and cash

if i am offered a check in person i say sure
i will drive us both to that bank right now and we can cash it together

My son saw an ad for some hi-tech equipment that was worth a 4000km
round trip to collect in person. The "seller" told him he would ship it
- just send me the money by Western Union. Yeah, right!