Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Rookie woodturner

Stumbled upon this group researching lathes, how to do it and safety risks involved. Figured Id see if anyone is around the Dallas area and wouldnt mind letting me come over and watch and ask questions about turning. I have zero experience and a ton of questions. I also have a garage full of cedar cutoffs of all sizes and shapes. Just figured I could turn them into something besides air fresheners for my garage. Either way send any info or invites to me at
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sunday, March 25, 2018 at 5:23:07 PM UTC-5,
Stumbled upon this group researching lathes, how to do it and safety risks involved. Figured Id see if anyone is around the Dallas area and wouldnt mind letting me come over and watch and ask questions about turning. I have zero experience and a ton of questions. I also have a garage full of cedar cutoffs of all sizes and shapes. Just figured I could turn them into something besides air fresheners for my garage. Either way send any info or invites to me at

I know exactly how you feel. When I started I knew nothing about turning (I had no idea what a gouge was for and used a scraper for my first several items). After awhile, I stumbled across someone named Richard Raffan and got a VCR of him doing instructional videos. That got me started.

You, on the other hand, have an excellent woodturning group there in the Dallas area,
http://dallaswoodturners.com/

Attend a meeting and you will find all the help you can handle. I know I did when I started attending the group that meets in Birmingham.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Appreciate the info boss

Vinyl siding question from rookie LRESA Home Repair 3 January 11th 10 06:54 PM
Can a rookie hope to be successful at...... Mike Home Repair 13 September 29th 07 06:22 AM
Rookie jointer question AcornMan Woodworking 7 March 22nd 06 04:09 PM
Rookie Question russ498 Woodturning 8 November 22nd 05 05:05 PM
Bushing question from rookie Richard A. Woodworking 10 September 11th 04 07:52 PM