Woodturning (rec.crafts.woodturning) To discuss tools, techniques, styles, materials, shows and competitions, education and educational materials related to woodturning. All skill levels are welcome, from art turners to production turners, beginners to masters.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old March 16th 18, 07:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Feb 2007
Posts: 425
Default Walmart sells Rikon lathes

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RIKON-70-...c-36f52ee1bdbd

I did not know Walmart sold Rikon lathes! There was an ad on a webpage I was on. It was for Rikon lathes. 16x42 sliding head variable speed lathe. $2070. It was from Walmart. The idea of buying a big lathe from Walmart seems really weird to me. I realize they are just advertising products from a vendor who has contracted with them. Just like Amazon does. But still, $2000 lathes from Walmart is weird.

  #2   Report Post  
Old March 17th 18, 04:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,143
Default Walmart sells Rikon lathes

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 23:38:05 -0700 (PDT)
" wrote:

they are just advertising products from a vendor who has contracted
with them. Just like Amazon does. But still, $2000 lathes from
Walmart is weird.


on the face i agree it does seem weird but the game is about logistics
in other words walmart will sell you anything you want to buy and
take whatever they can get of the transaction

would be interesting to know how much they make on a lathe sale


but actually that is changing too at least globally as other countries
start to come down on illegal activities of the amazons and others

amazon was raided overseas recently as they were doing bad things

it seems the trade war that has been going on forever is now turning
into something closer to a hot trade war

interesting times for sure








  #3   Report Post  
Old April 5th 18, 05:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,007
Default Walmart sells Rikon lathes

Delivered to your house. Or delivered to the local one near you.

Handy. They have Big Trucks and have the ability.
Martin


On 3/17/2018 10:34 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 23:38:05 -0700 (PDT)
" wrote:

they are just advertising products from a vendor who has contracted
with them. Just like Amazon does. But still, $2000 lathes from
Walmart is weird.


on the face i agree it does seem weird but the game is about logistics
in other words walmart will sell you anything you want to buy and
take whatever they can get of the transaction

would be interesting to know how much they make on a lathe sale


but actually that is changing too at least globally as other countries
start to come down on illegal activities of the amazons and others

amazon was raided overseas recently as they were doing bad things

it seems the trade war that has been going on forever is now turning
into something closer to a hot trade war

interesting times for sure








  #4   Report Post  
Old April 5th 18, 08:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Feb 2007
Posts: 425
Default Walmart sells Rikon lathes

On Wednesday, April 4, 2018 at 10:40:21 PM UTC-5, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Delivered to your house. Or delivered to the local one near you.

Handy. They have Big Trucks and have the ability.
Martin



When I clicked on the link, it said the following:

"Sold & shipped by Factory Authorized Outlet Return policy

Free shipping
Arrives by Monday, Apr 16

Free pickup not available from this seller"

So based on that I assume its shipped to your house free. They don't even give you the option of being shipped to the nearest WalMart store. Makes sense because it is a third party seller using the WalMart website to sell. Just like Amazon. For fun I looked up the same lathe on Amazon. Its $5 cheaper on Amazon. Free shipping also. Probably the same third party seller at both Amazon and WalMart.

It just seems weird to buy a $2000 lathe at WalMart.






On 3/17/2018 10:34 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 23:38:05 -0700 (PDT)
" wrote:

they are just advertising products from a vendor who has contracted
with them. Just like Amazon does. But still, $2000 lathes from
Walmart is weird.


on the face i agree it does seem weird but the game is about logistics
in other words walmart will sell you anything you want to buy and
take whatever they can get of the transaction

would be interesting to know how much they make on a lathe sale


but actually that is changing too at least globally as other countries
start to come down on illegal activities of the amazons and others

amazon was raided overseas recently as they were doing bad things

it seems the trade war that has been going on forever is now turning
into something closer to a hot trade war

interesting times for sure









  #5   Report Post  
Old April 6th 18, 10:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,143
Default Walmart sells Rikon lathes

On Thu, 5 Apr 2018 11:33:33 -0700 (PDT)
" wrote:

same lathe on Amazon. Its $5 cheaper on Amazon. Free shipping
also. Probably the same third party seller at both Amazon and
WalMart.


what is price for lathe if you pick it up from lathe store

that is the interesting part of the equation because shipping is never
without cost

there is the rub

and it comes out that amazon are engaged in shipping fraud
not a surprise

and the tax payer pays the bill so amazon has been subsidized by
us tax payers










  #6   Report Post  
Old April 8th 18, 12:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Apr 2018
Posts: 1
Default Walmart sells Rikon lathes

On 2018-04-06 2:40 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Thu, 5 Apr 2018 11:33:33 -0700 (PDT)
" wrote:

same lathe on Amazon. Its $5 cheaper on Amazon. Free shipping
also. Probably the same third party seller at both Amazon and
WalMart.


what is price for lathe if you pick it up from lathe store

that is the interesting part of the equation because shipping is never
without cost

there is the rub

and it comes out that amazon are engaged in shipping fraud
not a surprise

and the tax payer pays the bill so amazon has been subsidized by
us tax payers

No, that's not so! The US PO makes a small profit, but a profit
nevertheless, from Amazon. Their contract is to deliver over the "last
mile" and the AMZ bar codes on the packages allow the PO to optimize
delivery that makes it profitable.
Johnboy.


--
Nobody in this country got rich on his own. You built a factory--good.
But you moved your goods on roads we all paid for. You hired workers we
all paid to educate. So keep a big hunk of the money from your factory.
But take a hunk and pay it forward. Elizabeth Warren (paraphrased)
  #7   Report Post  
Old April 11th 18, 01:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Feb 2007
Posts: 425
Default Walmart sells Rikon lathes

On Friday, April 6, 2018 at 3:40:43 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
On Thu, 5 Apr 2018 11:33:33 -0700 (PDT)
" wrote:

same lathe on Amazon. Its $5 cheaper on Amazon. Free shipping
also. Probably the same third party seller at both Amazon and
WalMart.


what is price for lathe if you pick it up from lathe store

that is the interesting part of the equation because shipping is never
without cost

there is the rub

and it comes out that amazon are engaged in shipping fraud
not a surprise

and the tax payer pays the bill so amazon has been subsidized by
us tax payers


Agree with John response. Amazon negotiates a shipping price or accepts the standard price from the USPS. No one forces the USPS at gun point to ship for the price they quote or negotiate. They decide. And I suspect they do make a small profit on every item they handle. But the USPS has billions or trillions of overhead costs to cover. So most likely they would need to double or triple or quadruple the shipping cost on every item they touch to cover the costs they incur. The Postmaster General sitting on his big wide butt in Washington DC probably gets paid a quarter million a year. Plus a retirement package of 125% of his highest pay. Lot of overhead with the USPS.

As far as the US taxpayer subsidizing Amazon, we also subsidize every minimum wage worker at Walmart and McDonalds and everywhere else. Most of those employees receive Medicaid and food stamps. Yet work full time jobs for the biggest most profitable companies in America. How about that! But we sure as hell don't want to increase the minimum wage to get these full time workers off food stamps. Better to keep corporate profits up and steal taxpayer money to send welfare to the workers at the most profitable companies in America.

Acme Tools, the Tool Crib of the North successor, has a store in my town. This lathe is $2000 from them. I could pick it up at the store downtown. But add in 7% sales tax. So really $2140. $75 MORE than from Amazon or any of the other free shipping internet sellers. Assuming they are not collecting sales tax. Not sure about this now days.

On big ticket items, the sales tax can easily be a price killer.
  #8   Report Post  
Old April 11th 18, 01:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Feb 2007
Posts: 425
Default Walmart sells Rikon lathes

On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 1:38:06 AM UTC-5, wrote:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/RIKON-70-...c-36f52ee1bdbd

I did not know Walmart sold Rikon lathes! There was an ad on a webpage I was on. It was for Rikon lathes. 16x42 sliding head variable speed lathe.. $2070. It was from Walmart. The idea of buying a big lathe from Walmart seems really weird to me. I realize they are just advertising products from a vendor who has contracted with them. Just like Amazon does. But still, $2000 lathes from Walmart is weird.



Correction, correction, correction! Toolnut is selling this lathe for $1989 with free shipping. So Amazon is trying to steal my money by selling it for $2065.
  #9   Report Post  
Old April 11th 18, 02:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Sep 2017
Posts: 33
Default Walmart sells Rikon lathes

wrote:
On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 1:38:06 AM UTC-5, wrote:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/RIKON-70-...c-36f52ee1bdbd

I did not know Walmart sold Rikon lathes! There was an ad on a webpage I was on. It was for Rikon lathes. 16x42 sliding head variable speed lathe. $2070. It was from Walmart. The idea of buying a big lathe from Walmart seems really weird to me. I realize they are just advertising products from a vendor who has contracted with them. Just like Amazon does. But still, $2000 lathes from Walmart is weird.



Correction, correction, correction! Toolnut is selling this lathe for $1989 with free shipping. So Amazon is trying to steal my money by selling it for $2065.

Don't know about your state, but Amazon collects state sales tax in my
state.

--
G Ross
  #10   Report Post  
Old April 11th 18, 05:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,143
Default Walmart sells Rikon lathes

On Sat, 7 Apr 2018 16:42:02 -0600
John wrote:

No, that's not so! The US PO makes a small profit, but a profit
nevertheless, from Amazon. Their contract is to deliver over the
"last mile" and the AMZ bar codes on the packages allow the PO to


can you post a link to this contract with the specifics of this contract

and what happens to the profit you allege when the last mile is ten or
twenty miles

also you still have not said who pays for this free shipping that the
post office makes money on










Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Walmart Protests Lack Actual Walmart Employees jon_banquer[_2_] Metalworking 2 November 30th 13 08:09 AM
Rikon Tools Brian Woodworking 0 July 27th 04 03:05 AM
Rikon 18" Bandsaw Mortimer Schnerd, RN Woodworking 12 July 24th 04 08:42 AM
Rikon Tools Tim Schubach Woodworking 1 February 18th 04 11:00 PM
Rikon Jointer/Planer Carl McCarty Woodworking 3 January 4th 04 07:36 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017