Old April 11th 18, 05:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Walmart sells Rikon lathes

On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 7:52:57 PM UTC-5, G Ross wrote:
wrote:
On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 1:38:06 AM UTC-5, wrote:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/RIKON-70-...c-36f52ee1bdbd

I did not know Walmart sold Rikon lathes! There was an ad on a webpage I was on. It was for Rikon lathes. 16x42 sliding head variable speed lathe. $2070. It was from Walmart. The idea of buying a big lathe from Walmart seems really weird to me. I realize they are just advertising products from a vendor who has contracted with them. Just like Amazon does. But still, $2000 lathes from Walmart is weird.

Correction, correction, correction! Toolnut is selling this lathe for $1989 with free shipping. So Amazon is trying to steal my money by selling it for $2065.

Don't know about your state, but Amazon collects state sales tax in my
state.

--
G Ross

I bought a pair of $80 speakers through Amazon two weeks ago. No state sales tax paid by me. And free shipping.

Old April 11th 18, 05:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:
[...]

You mean that AMZ paid the shipping and it was hidden in the cost.

Old April 17th 18, 06:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 10:37:13 wrote:

You mean that AMZ paid the shipping and it was hidden in the cost.

amazon rarely if ever pays for the shipping

instead they will force the seller to pay in some way

have you sold a lot on that platform

amazon abuse their monopoly position as a business model

Old April 19th 18, 05:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I get boxes from Amazon that are marked FedEx and that brown box UPS.
Both reduce their cost by having someone who drives there every day to
deliver it. Not all is Amazon ,
some of it is by the two delivery companies that have contracts also.

Part of the problem with the post office is their pension that is a
monster. They have to pay it and the Fed used to. And the Fed made
them '''independent''' sorta. But they still issue passports.....sell
stamps....money orders....collect customs and the like.

Martin

On 4/10/2018 6:37 PM, wrote:
On Friday, April 6, 2018 at 3:40:43 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
On Thu, 5 Apr 2018 11:33:33 -0700 (PDT)
" wrote:

same lathe on Amazon. Its $5 cheaper on Amazon. Free shipping
also. Probably the same third party seller at both Amazon and
WalMart.

what is price for lathe if you pick it up from lathe store

that is the interesting part of the equation because shipping is never
without cost

there is the rub

and it comes out that amazon are engaged in shipping fraud
not a surprise

and the tax payer pays the bill so amazon has been subsidized by
us tax payers

Agree with John response. Amazon negotiates a shipping price or accepts the standard price from the USPS. No one forces the USPS at gun point to ship for the price they quote or negotiate. They decide. And I suspect they do make a small profit on every item they handle. But the USPS has billions or trillions of overhead costs to cover. So most likely they would need to double or triple or quadruple the shipping cost on every item they touch to cover the costs they incur. The Postmaster General sitting on his big wide butt in Washington DC probably gets paid a quarter million a year. Plus a retirement package of 125% of his highest pay. Lot of overhead with the USPS.

As far as the US taxpayer subsidizing Amazon, we also subsidize every minimum wage worker at Walmart and McDonalds and everywhere else. Most of those employees receive Medicaid and food stamps. Yet work full time jobs for the biggest most profitable companies in America. How about that! But we sure as hell don't want to increase the minimum wage to get these full time workers off food stamps. Better to keep corporate profits up and steal taxpayer money to send welfare to the workers at the most profitable companies in America.

Acme Tools, the Tool Crib of the North successor, has a store in my town. This lathe is $2000 from them. I could pick it up at the store downtown. But add in 7% sales tax. So really $2140. $75 MORE than from Amazon or any of the other free shipping internet sellers. Assuming they are not collecting sales tax. Not sure about this now days.

On big ticket items, the sales tax can easily be a price killer.

Old April 21st 18, 02:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 2018-04-11 10:17 AM,
wrote:
I bought a pair of $80 speakers through Amazon two weeks ago. No state sales tax paid by me. And free shipping.

You mean that AMZ paid the shipping and it was hidden in the cost.

Yes. I am well aware there ain't nothing free in this world. Maybe everyone should instead say "free shipping" is included in price of item. And maybe make it illegal for Amazon or anyone else to print "free shipping" on any website. I favor this. We should all petition every federal and state official to make it ILLEGAL to put "free shipping" on anything. I am sure the various truth in advertising (???) laws would allow us to ban "free shipping" on everything. It is the biggest lie there is.

"Free shipping" has come to mean there are no additional charges in the
sale price. Amazon often has different prices for the same item, like
the free shipping price can be higher than the non-free shipping price.
If you are cheap, like me, you must look carefully at Amazon prices,
checking and comparing prices/shipping/taxes. They are a sneaky bunch.

There is a particular cookie my wife likes and she was having trouble
finding it so she looked on Amazon. She found the exact same box for
$10 that the store sells for $3. If you are not careful, Amazon can and
will screw you big time on pricing.

I once bought a cheap lathe drill chuck on Amazon, when it came, it came
in a box from Harbor Freight, including the HF part number. I could
have bought the exact same item at HF for a good bit less. The guy that
got the money from Amazon probably ordered the item from HF and had it
mailed right to my address? Smooth entrepreneur there.
I believe the words are "caveat emptor"
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Walmart Protests Lack Actual Walmart Employees jon_banquer[_2_] Metalworking 2 November 30th 13 07:09 AM
Rikon Tools Brian Woodworking 0 July 27th 04 02:05 AM
Rikon 18" Bandsaw Mortimer Schnerd, RN Woodworking 12 July 24th 04 07:42 AM
Rikon Tools Tim Schubach Woodworking 1 February 18th 04 10:00 PM
Rikon Jointer/Planer Carl McCarty Woodworking 3 January 4th 04 06:36 PM