Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default should all turners have a fireplace

turners should have at least one

find it hard to resist turning a blank i like even knowing that the
visible crack looks deep

probably deep enough to guarantee a failed turning

but i turn it anyway just because the wood is a good specimen

what are some tricks to try and save these hopeless cases

resin might work but sometimes the piece will let loose the internal
stress before resin can be applied

maybe the problem is the wood was not seasoned properly but some
wood seems to dry so fast that no amount of wax or sealing will
save it

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 2018-03-08 10:19 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

turners should have at least one

find it hard to resist turning a blank i like even knowing that the
visible crack looks deep

probably deep enough to guarantee a failed turning

but i turn it anyway just because the wood is a good specimen

what are some tricks to try and save these hopeless cases

resin might work but sometimes the piece will let loose the internal
stress before resin can be applied

maybe the problem is the wood was not seasoned properly but some
wood seems to dry so fast that no amount of wax or sealing will
save it

I started to turn a salad bowl in 20 years old elm. I had almost
finished hollowing and while I was sharpening the gouge, I heard an
ominous sound. There was a stress crack that stretched from the rim
almost to the base. I eventually bandsawed the crack and intend filling
it with a brightly coloured resin.
Otherwise, my neighbour happily accepts the dry offcuts and failures.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 8 Mar 2018 11:39:17 -0700
graham wrote:

I started to turn a salad bowl in 20 years old elm. I had almost
finished hollowing and while I was sharpening the gouge, I heard an
ominous sound. There was a stress crack that stretched from the rim
almost to the base. I eventually bandsawed the crack and intend filling
it with a brightly coloured resin.

have seen furniture with the brightly colored resin embedded in the
cracks

they just filled in the natural cracks and splits then surface planed
the whole thing and it looked good

will you put it back on the lathe to turn the resin

do not breathe that stuff

i hesitate whenever i introduce toxic synthetic materials into the
sawdust because i use the sawdust with mulch

Otherwise, my neighbour happily accepts the dry offcuts and failures.

having one close by is just as good

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 2018-03-09 9:44 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Thu, 8 Mar 2018 11:39:17 -0700
graham wrote:

I started to turn a salad bowl in 20 years old elm. I had almost
finished hollowing and while I was sharpening the gouge, I heard an
ominous sound. There was a stress crack that stretched from the rim
almost to the base. I eventually bandsawed the crack and intend filling
it with a brightly coloured resin.

have seen furniture with the brightly colored resin embedded in the
cracks

they just filled in the natural cracks and splits then surface planed
the whole thing and it looked good

will you put it back on the lathe to turn the resin

do not breathe that stuff

i hesitate whenever i introduce toxic synthetic materials into the
sawdust because i use the sawdust with mulch

I haven't progressed that far yet. There's a new resin out called
"Eco-poxy" that is supposed to be less toxic.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 11:19:12 AM UTC-6, Electric Comet wrote:
turners should have at least one

find it hard to resist turning a blank i like even knowing that the
visible crack looks deep

probably deep enough to guarantee a failed turning

but i turn it anyway just because the wood is a good specimen

what are some tricks to try and save these hopeless cases

resin might work but sometimes the piece will let loose the internal
stress before resin can be applied

maybe the problem is the wood was not seasoned properly but some
wood seems to dry so fast that no amount of wax or sealing will
save it

IMHO it is an absolute necessity, for two reasons. 1) It gives you a place to dispose of your mistakes and failures. 2) It gives you a place to chill and clear your mind after a frustrating day at the lathe. ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 06:33:26 -0700 (PDT)
"Dr. Deb" wrote:

IMHO it is an absolute necessity, for two reasons. 1) It gives you a
place to dispose of your mistakes and failures. 2) It gives you a
place to chill and clear your mind after a frustrating day at the
lathe. ;-)

or gives you time to think about how to salvage a piece before it goes
in