Old February 11th 18, 06:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default blount vega oliver and more

On 2018-02-10 3:35 PM, wrote:
On Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 7:46:40 AM UTC-6, graham wrote:

The General 160 lathe for $600 is probably a great buy. Value wise. BUT, its still a 12" swing lathe. Is 36" between centers. Pulley speed changes. Maybe Reeves drive to get variable speed. Not sure.

No, it's a 4-speed. If it had the Reeves drive, there would be a lever
on the front of the cabinet.
I'm faced with a similar problem regarding pricing. I have a 160 for
sale.

I hear you. Your problem is even though your 160 is undoubtedly a fine lathe, it really just isn't worth a whole lot today when compared to what you can buy brand new. For what you want for the 160, its possible to buy a brand new Chinese lathe with an extension bed and maybe variable speed and be able to do 120% of what the 160 can do.

I agree! My new lathe is a Nova Galaxi and although much more expensive
than the 160, is far more versatile.
However, I know some top-class turners still using the 260, which is a
bigger version of the 160 and used to grace the workshops of
internationally known turners until the likes of Oneway and Robust came
along.
Graham

The General 160 and 260 lathes are fine, fine lathes. Just like the now non existent Powermatic 90 and Delta made one similar too. 3 HP with variable speed I think. Or maybe it was pulleys, not sure. All fine 12" or 24" diameter lathes with 36" between centers. Pretty much identical to Oneway lathes today except Oneway is welded steel and not cast iron. All fine and good. But lathes have improved over the years. Sliding head stocks are far superior to the old time fixed head lathes. You get a short and long bed lathe in one. And you do not have to bend your body in half over the bed to hollow out a bowl. Pain.

Old February 11th 18, 06:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 2018-02-10 10:12 PM, wrote:
[...]

Although my Nova Galaxi has a sliding and swivelling headstock, I still
adopt the old "fixed headstock" position from force of habit:-)
I now have a Hope System hollower with both laser and TV attachments and
for deep hollow turning, a speciality of mine, the headstock has to be
in the "fixed" position.
https://hopewoodturning.co.uk/jig-s/...ra-system?c=17

Graham
Old February 11th 18, 11:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 12:55:52 -0700
graham wrote:

the table. These days the quality is much higher.

they do iterate and listen to the customer and over time they end up
making quality but it has taken them a while to learn

they are still learning but they go through iterations more quickly
now with cad designs and automation

Old February 12th 18, 11:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 15:50:09 -0700
graham wrote:

I agree! My new lathe is a Nova Galaxi and although much more
expensive than the 160, is far more versatile.
However, I know some top-class turners still using the 260, which is
a bigger version of the 160 and used to grace the workshops of
internationally known turners until the likes of Oneway and Robust
came along.

well having one too many lathes is not the worst problem to have

maybe you can donate it to a local maker space

some schools still have woodshops too and believe it or not they may be
happy to have it

Old February 12th 18, 11:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 14:35:58 -0800 (PST)
" wrote:

can do. Think of cars. A fancy luxury car from the 1970s is the
same or maybe worse than a medium Camry, Accord etc. today. Camry
and Accord are not luxury cars, but they probably have better, more
powerful motors and nicer interiors today than what the 1970s luxury
cars had. Would you buy a 1972 Coupe de Ville for the same price you
can buy a new Camry? Most likely not. Unless you really want the

i get it and not disagreeing with your point

one thing about using a vintage car as a daily driver is that safety
was not as well baked in to cars then as it is now

crumple zones come to mind first

but the air bags and abs etc

lathes are as safe as the operator

Old February 13th 18, 02:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

" wrote:

can do. Think of cars. A fancy luxury car from the 1970s is the
same or maybe worse than a medium Camry, Accord etc. today. Camry
and Accord are not luxury cars, but they probably have better, more
powerful motors and nicer interiors today than what the 1970s luxury
cars had. Would you buy a 1972 Coupe de Ville for the same price you
can buy a new Camry? Most likely not. Unless you really want the

i get it and not disagreeing with your point

one thing about using a vintage car as a daily driver is that safety
was not as well baked in to cars then as it is now

crumple zones come to mind first

but the air bags and abs etc

lathes are as safe as the operator

I wasn't even thinking about the safety differences between the Eldorado and the Camry, Accord. Just the quality aspects. You're right the safety aspect is there. Even though the Eldorado probably weighed one ton more, it probably fared much worse in any safety test crashes.

one more oliver a 20b Electric Comet Woodturning 0 September 9th 17 08:31 PM
The wristwatch continued to see more and more improvements over theyears. Watchmakers began making more and more models over the years for peopleto choose from. The wristwatch was made out of necessity, but has come a longway since then. [email protected] Home Ownership 0 April 24th 08 10:03 PM
The wristwatch continued to see more and more improvements over theyears. Watchmakers began making more and more models over the years for peopleto choose from. The wristwatch was made out of necessity, but has come a longway since then. [email protected] Home Ownership 0 April 24th 08 12:01 PM
FS: Blount Lathe Sal Woodturning 1 October 25th 06 06:09 AM
Delta (34-444) and Vega Fence Setup Matt Aversano Woodworking 1 December 5th 03 04:56 AM