Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default laguna revo with extras

nice setup with the outboard attachment too and wheels

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/d...203927737.html

the halogen lights will keep you warm

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 3:55:12 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
nice setup with the outboard attachment too and wheels

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/d...203927737.html

the halogen lights will keep you warm

That motor means you will be extremely limited in what you can turn outboard, irrespective of which way you pivot the headstock.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 5 Jul 2017 07:55:47 -0700 (PDT)
"Dr. Deb" wrote:

That motor means you will be extremely limited in what you can turn
outboard, irrespective of which way you pivot the headstock.

how so

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 4:39:35 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
On Wed, 5 Jul 2017 07:55:47 -0700 (PDT)

That motor means you will be extremely limited in what you can turn

outboard, irrespective of which way you pivot the headstock.

how so

The motor sticks out past the end of the headstock, hence, the max diameter you can turn is limited by the distance between the center of the face plate and the motor, times two, which in this case is probably not more than 12". That means a 24" diameter piece is the max you could turn.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 2017-07-13 6:05 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:
On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 4:39:35 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
On Wed, 5 Jul 2017 07:55:47 -0700 (PDT)

That motor means you will be extremely limited in what you can turn
outboard, irrespective of which way you pivot the headstock.

how so

The motor sticks out past the end of the headstock, hence, the max diameter you can turn is limited by the distance between the center of the face plate and the motor, times two, which in this case is probably not more than 12". That means a 24" diameter piece is the max you could turn.

Not so! Our club has one and the motor sticks out to the rear of the
headstock not the front. Checkout
https://lagunatools.com/classic-machinery/lathes/

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I think Dr. Deb is implying that you will turn outboard on this lathe the same way you turn outboard on a Oneway lathe. Where the motor and headstock are fixed in place. Put the chuck, faceplate on the back side of the headstock and reverse the motor and move the toolrest over to the outbound side.. But the Laguna is a sliding headstock lathe. You NEVER EVER turn outboard with it. You just slide the headstock down to the end of the bed and turn off the end of the bed. The Laguna and Powermatic 3520 and Jet 1640 and Robust Beauty lathes are all sliding headstock lathes. No outboard to them. You can only mount the chuck on one side of the headstock. Unlike the Oneway and Vicmarc and old General and old Delta lathes which had fixed headstocks and fixed motors and you could screw the chuck on both sides of the headstock spindle.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I agree. In fact my lathe has left hand threads on the outboard side.
Inside is right hand. I can turn with a spindle bolt a 24" plate
easily. I just have it out in the room - already - and off the ground.
I could do a 48" plate. Only 24" down and 24" up. I just don't. Don't
need it. I have a large enough area and expanded near the head - no ways.

The 'modern' fancy ones are DC drive or 3phase drive and control the
speed forward or back.

My lathe - circa 1947 is is belt driven from a motor that looks like a
20hp cage but is 1/2. It just lopes along - no issue. It is also a 110v.

Martin

I think Dr. Deb is implying that you will turn outboard on this lathe the same way you turn outboard on a Oneway lathe. Where the motor and headstock are fixed in place. Put the chuck, faceplate on the back side of the headstock and reverse the motor and move the toolrest over to the outbound side. But the Laguna is a sliding headstock lathe. You NEVER EVER turn outboard with it. You just slide the headstock down to the end of the bed and turn off the end of the bed. The Laguna and Powermatic 3520 and Jet 1640 and Robust Beauty lathes are all sliding headstock lathes. No outboard to them. You can only mount the chuck on one side of the headstock. Unlike the Oneway and Vicmarc and old General and old Delta lathes which had fixed headstocks and fixed motors and you could screw the chuck on both sides of the headstock spindle.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 9:13:15 PM UTC-5, Martin Eastburn wrote:
[...]

Mark, my lathe is a circa 1998 Woodfast M910 (1 1/4 x 8 inboard and 1 x 8 left hand thread, outboard) and has the same setup for outboard turning. The way I got around the thread problem was to have a couple of adapters made which allow me to use my normal chucks on the outboard side.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 14:08:32 -0700 (PDT)
" wrote:

headstock lathe. You NEVER EVER turn outboard with it. You just
slide the headstock down to the end of the bed and turn off the end
of the bed. The Laguna and Powermatic 3520 and Jet 1640 and Robust
Beauty lathes are all sliding headstock lathes. No outboard to

this is what i thought this lathe did

glad you cleared that up

a really nice feature since it allows you to really get into hollow
forms without having to lean over the bed

looks like the lathe is gone as the ad is gone

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

" wrote:

headstock lathe. You NEVER EVER turn outboard with it. You just
slide the headstock down to the end of the bed and turn off the end
of the bed. The Laguna and Powermatic 3520 and Jet 1640 and Robust
Beauty lathes are all sliding headstock lathes. No outboard to

this is what i thought this lathe did

glad you cleared that up

a really nice feature since it allows you to really get into hollow
forms without having to lean over the bed

Not sure I cleared anything up. I have looked at the Laguna lathes on the website. They are more or less identical to the sliding headstock lathes sold by Powermatic, Jet, Robust, etc. They are NOT the fixed headstock lathes like Oneway and Vicmarc. I have always thought the sliding headstock lathes were always the best way to make a lathe. No bending over the lathe to hollow out a bowl. Just stand at the end of the lathe and look straight into the bowl you are hollowing. No bending and twisting your back sideways.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tuesday, July 18, 2017 at 9:03:58 PM UTC-5, Martin Eastburn wrote:
If you do a lot of bowls buy a bowl lathe. They are specially designed
for turning bowls and large plates.

A sliding headstock lathe eliminates the need to even think about having separate bowl and spindle lathes. Or compromising by using one to do the other task. Bowl lathes are basically short bed lathes with a large swing. And spindle lathes are long bed lathes. Sliding headstock lathes allow you to have BOTH a short and long bed on the same lathe. With a bowl lathe you stand at the end of the bed and hollow out the inside of the bowl. No bending over the short bed. With a sliding headstock lathe you can slide the head to the end of the bed and then stand at the end of the bed and hollow out the inside of the bowl. No need to bend over the bed.

https://vicmarc.com/index.php?option...tegory_id =13
This is a Vicmarc 300 bowl lathe. It has a 19" bed.

https://oneway.ca/products-category/...0-Series-Lathe
The Oneway 2416 is a bowl lathe. 16" between centers. Or you can add on the outboard turning bed and get a 20" between center bowl lathe on the opposite side of the spindle part of your Oneway.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 2017-07-19 3:14 PM, wrote:
[...]

I have a Nova Galaxy and you can go from 16 diameter swing inboard,
swivel the headstock to 45 degrees and instantly have a usable turning
diameter of up to 18-inches, just using the standard tool rest and tool
rest slide. Swivel to 90 degrees you have a turning diameter of
32-inches using the outrigger system. This means the user can go from
inboard, turning of chair legs to turning a large hollow form vase or
bowl in a matter of minutes to set up. Other lathes take a lot of time
to set up for larger work as the head needs to be slid down the
tailstock end of the lathe, and the tailstock needs to be taken off. It
also means that the turner does not need to lean awkwardly over the bed
to turn they can stand in a very comfortable position either to the
side or right in front of the turning.
Graham
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 14:14:26 -0700 (PDT)
" wrote:

A sliding headstock lathe eliminates the need to even think about
having separate bowl and spindle lathes. Or compromising by using
one to do the other task. Bowl lathes are basically short bed lathes
with a large swing. And spindle lathes are long bed lathes. Sliding
headstock lathes allow you to have BOTH a short and long bed on the
same lathe. With a bowl lathe you stand at the end of the bed and
hollow out the inside of the bowl. No bending over the short bed.
With a sliding headstock lathe you can slide the head to the end of
the bed and then stand at the end of the bed and hollow out the
inside of the bowl. No need to bend over the bed.

yep

glad you are clearing things up
again

if you mentioned it i missed it but bending over is unsafe for many reasons

fatigue and big chance of making contact and harder to see into the
bowl or form