DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   true diy spirit (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/592954-true-diy-spirit.html)

Electric Comet July 4th 17 10:42 PM

true diy spirit

https://peoria.craigslist.org/tls/6166932091.html

looks nice and hope they sell it gets put to good use

Dr. Deb[_5_] July 5th 17 04:56 PM

true diy spirit

On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 3:42:13 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
https://peoria.craigslist.org/tls/6166932091.html

looks nice and hope they sell it gets put to good use

True, but I would hate to have something a bit out of balance on it.

[email protected] July 5th 17 08:58 PM

true diy spirit

That is one way to make a hand built lathe. But its very different from the old lathes from the 1800s. The antique long bed lathes used wooden lathe beds. Like this one. But had all metal headstocks and tailstocks and tool rests. Bolted to the wooden lathe bed. Cheaper and easier I suppose for the guy to build his lathe this way. But still think it would have been much better if he found a metal headstock and tailstock and tool rest, old or new doesn't matter. And bolted that to a pair of 2x12 stringers making the lathe bed.