Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default belt sharpener

have been looking at belt sanders and came across this one

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...em-6-Piece-Set

looks well made and well thought out but it is not cheap

not sure about availability of that size belt either

the sorby name might still mean something but not sure about that either
with the race to the bottom in everything now

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Monday, July 3, 2017 at 9:30:57 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
have been looking at belt sanders and came across this one

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...em-6-Piece-Set

looks well made and well thought out but it is not cheap

not sure about availability of that size belt either

the sorby name might still mean something but not sure about that either
with the race to the bottom in everything now

I am sure it handles them, but the one thing missing from the video is how to sharpen in-cannel gouges.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Electric Comet wrote:
have been looking at belt sanders and came across this one

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...em-6-Piece-Set

looks well made and well thought out but it is not cheap

not sure about availability of that size belt either

the sorby name might still mean something but not sure about that either
with the race to the bottom in everything now

I use an old, discontinued, 1 x 42 ? grizzly belt sander dedicated to
sharpening my turning tools. It looks a little like this
https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Mini-...ll+belt+sander

but is all metal. It came with a disk sander to mount on the end of
the motor but I never installed it.
I use blue sharpening belts from Lee Valley, set the angle on the
table to sharpen at 35 deg. and it takes about 15 seconds to sharpen a
bowl gouge. No jig needed, just sweep the tool around while
sharpening. Sometimes I use a fine stone to take the burr off the
inside, but it does not seem to matter in actual use.
I never hone or strop a turning tool. It will dull in a few minutes
anyway.

I never use it on wood, because I dislike mixing metal sparks with
wood dust.

--
GW Ross