Old May 11th 17, 07:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Been awhile, and it shows

On 2017-05-07 7:53 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:

2) Practice, practice, practice. Put another way, "If you do not use it, you lose it."

I started turning seriously again last year after a 15 year break during
which my profession took all my time. I know what to do but it's like a
musician practising scales - one must, as you say, practise to keep
one's skills up to par.
This was emphasised to me a couple of weeks ago. I was making a deep
hollow turning through a small hole to make a small urn. I managed to
get a fairly uniform thickness of 2-3mm and was refining the outside
near the base. I had re-ground the fingernail on a 3/8" spindle gouge
and almost immediately got a nasty catch. So as I had enough wood left,
I tried to turn it out whereupon I caught an even nastier one that
consigned the piece of burl to the firewood box.
Graham

2-3 mm? That is pretty thin. I might have resorted to the sandpaper gouge at that point.

Old May 11th 17, 07:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 11:48:54 AM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
On Sun, 7 May 2017 20:58:57 -0500
Martin E wrote:

My Uncle Dave Hunt would have turned cowboy hats out of that ! We
have three or so here and they are something else. Beautiful.

in texas they call them hats hahaha

i guess they may be as comfortable as wooden shoes

Little different. Your feet bend and twist and turn when walking or even standing. They are kind of like your hands. They bend and twist in all shapes. Your head stays about the same exact shape all the time no matter how you twist and turn your head.
Old May 15th 17, 11:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 9 May 2017 11:35:05 -0600
graham wrote:

hollow turning through a small hole to make a small urn. I managed to
get a fairly uniform thickness of 2-3mm and was refining the outside
near the base. I had re-ground the fingernail on a 3/8" spindle gouge
and almost immediately got a nasty catch. So as I had enough wood
left, I tried to turn it out whereupon I caught an even nastier one

there are some good videos of a japanese turner doing thin walled
bowls and the light bulb technique

the technique used is scraping rather than a full frontal gouge

Old May 17th 17, 12:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 5:05:40 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
On Tue, 9 May 2017 11:35:05 -0600
wrote:

hollow turning through a small hole to make a small urn. I managed to
get a fairly uniform thickness of 2-3mm and was refining the outside
near the base. I had re-ground the fingernail on a 3/8" spindle gouge
and almost immediately got a nasty catch. So as I had enough wood
left, I tried to turn it out whereupon I caught an even nastier one

there are some good videos of a japanese turner doing thin walled
bowls and the light bulb technique

the technique used is scraping rather than a full frontal gouge

That makes a lot of sense. However, thus guy was wsung a full blown doufe.