Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Here's a lathe for ya EC:

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tld/6007842494.html

You can toss all yer udder tools out to da curb...
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Nice CNC Metal lathe/mill. Doubt it would do welll with spray and mist
automation jets on a wood stick. The input is a tube. The Input
material is a long stick of steel or other metal.

Martin

On 2/17/2017 2:12 PM, wrote:
https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tld/6007842494.html

You can toss all yer udder tools out to da curb...

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Maybe I missed it, but I did not see a price. Usually on Craigslist a price is given showing what the seller wants for the item. Its not like eBay where you bid for the item. For anyone familiar with machine lathes, do the letters on the control panel mean something? They are not your normal QWERTY typewriter letters. Does that arrangement of letters mean something in CNC land?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

That is a CNC manual keyboard. It talks CNC not ASCII/querky.

there are three pictures to show the system. check out the center one -
for the work area.

Normally you upload the program into it and then start debugging.
Keyboard can patch your program. Then you fix your program for
production try and then release...

If you think - get info on the CNC controller and the language for it.
There are specs for the machine - how large something can be and what it
can do with that object.

Martin

Maybe I missed it, but I did not see a price. Usually on Craigslist a price is given showing what the seller wants for the item. Its not like eBay where you bid for the item. For anyone familiar with machine lathes, do the letters on the control panel mean something? They are not your normal QWERTY typewriter letters. Does that arrangement of letters mean something in CNC land?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 16:07:32 -0800 (PST)
" wrote:

Maybe I missed it, but I did not see a price. Usually on Craigslist
a price is given showing what the seller wants for the item. Its not

no price when i looked at it
but unless someone had a lot of money to spend they would know what
that is worth and would offer a price

like eBay where you bid for the item. For anyone familiar with

ebay is in the death throes last i heard

ceo says ebay is not an online flea market so they try to compete with
amazon and we know that will fail

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 23:05:54 -0600
Martin Eastburn wrote:

mist automation jets on a wood stick. The input is a tube. The Input

yeah no good for working wood

laguna has some nice cnc lathes for wood

https://lagunatools.com/cnc/cnc-turners/

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

It would be nice to have a 'measure' mode or 'copy' mode - read the
master between centers and make 250 spindles... table legs....

Looking at old homes one wonders on the patience of the stair turners
making spindles for days on end. Then start over for the employee
stairs and perhaps another one or two for the rich end.

Thanks

Martin

Martin Eastburn wrote:

mist automation jets on a wood stick. The input is a tube. The Input

yeah no good for working wood

laguna has some nice cnc lathes for wood

https://lagunatools.com/cnc/cnc-turners/

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

" wrote:

Maybe I missed it, but I did not see a price. Usually on Craigslist
a price is given showing what the seller wants for the item. Its not

no price when i looked at it
but unless someone had a lot of money to spend they would know what
that is worth and would offer a price

Probably true. Only someone who knows what it is and what it is worth would make an offer or even look at the ad.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Looking at old homes one wonders on the patience of the stair turners
making spindles for days on end. Then start over for the employee
stairs and perhaps another one or two for the rich end.

Not sure how things were done long ago. But I bet most stairs were made by a few factories. All home builders used these same few factories. They were not built individually by the local craftsman. One guy did not make just the stair spindles for one house. The homebuilder called, wrote the company he deals with and asked for 50 spindles for Johnson staircase in a paint grade. And another 100 homebuilders around the state or area called, wrote the company and asked for the same thing. So the stair factory had one or two guys in the factory making the exact same spindle 12 hours a day, 6 days a week all year long. Specialization, production has been going on for hundreds of years now. The concept started before automated machinery came along.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

" wrote:

Maybe I missed it, but I did not see a price. Usually on Craigslist
a price is given showing what the seller wants for the item. Its not

no price when i looked at it
but unless someone had a lot of money to spend they would know what
that is worth and would offer a price

Probably true. Only someone who knows what it is and what it is worth would make an offer or even look at the ad.

Pretty sure this is a case of "if you need to ask the price, you probably can't afford it" comes into play...

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I think you are right on most houses. Custom crafted houses were made
on site.

My father-in-law - Sisters that is - had a custom massive house. His
basement had a 4 car wide door on it to park under the house. Heated
and drained. He had room for 20+ servants and his own family. His
living room went on and on - had two fire places on each end.

It was a house of a South & Northern American Lumber Barron. The 4
story home was on one of the holes in Lebanon Ill. golf course. He
imported fine quality wood for the better homes and hotels in Chicago.
He sold a lot of wood from the local region to parts to the east.

He might have used custom houses in the big city but supplied the wood.
Some mansions took years to finish. So much was done there.

Martin