Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default gouging sharpeners

some of the sharpening systems out there will seriously gouge your
wallet

the tormek is ridiculous

for that price it should be automated

and where are the automated sharpeners

hmmm maybe that desktop waterjet could do this

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 11/24/2016 10:28 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

some of the sharpening systems out there will seriously gouge your
wallet

the tormek is ridiculous

for that price it should be automated

and where are the automated sharpeners

hmmm maybe that desktop waterjet could do this

In Canada, the Tormek:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...=1,43072,67090

Chinese knock-off:
http://www.busybeetools.com/products...r-craftex.html

These systems are not really made for turning tools.

Graham

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"graham" wrote in message news
In Canada, the Tormek:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...=1,43072,67090

Chinese knock-off:
http://www.busybeetools.com/products...r-craftex.html

These systems are not really made for turning tools.

Graham

I don't know about the Chinese knock-off, but the Tormek sharpens turning
tools just fine.

What it's not good for is shaping tools, since it turns slow and has a fine
stone. But Tormek sells an adapter that you can set up so that you can use
the Tormek jigs with a dry grinding wheel when you have a lot of metal to
remove, like when you're changing the profile on a tool. Then just take the
jig and the tool over to the Tormek for final sharpening and honing, if you
hone your turning tools. I use the system that way and it makes a great
setup.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

tdacon wrote:

[...]

I use a 1 x 40 inch belt sander from Grizzly. The table is set at the
angle I like. With a blue sharpening belt from Lee Valley I can
sharpen three bowl gouges in half a minute. I don't know if they will
shave (I have a razor for that), but they will sure peel off the wood.

--
GW Ross

If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more
people happy?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 24 Nov 2016 15:11:58 -0800, "tdacon"
wrote:

[...]

It took me about 20 years, but I finally learned the difference
between grinding and sharpening...
I now have a high speed grinder and a low speed...
As Kevin does, I also use a 1" belt sander to touching up a tool...

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 2016-11-24 17:50:17 +0000, graham said:

On 11/24/2016 10:28 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

some of the sharpening systems out there will seriously gouge your
wallet

the tormek is ridiculous

for that price it should be automated

and where are the automated sharpeners

hmmm maybe that desktop waterjet could do this

In Canada, the Tormek:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...=1,43072,67090

Chinese knock-off:
http://www.busybeetools.com/products...r-craftex.html

These systems are not really made for turning tools.

Graham

FYI, BusyBee is (or at least was) owned by the brother of the guy that
owns Grizzly
Which is why they often have identical lines of tools

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 2016-11-24 17:50:17 +0000, graham said:

On 11/24/2016 10:28 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

some of the sharpening systems out there will seriously gouge your
wallet

the tormek is ridiculous

for that price it should be automated

and where are the automated sharpeners

hmmm maybe that desktop waterjet could do this

In Canada, the Tormek:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...=1,43072,67090

Chinese knock-off:
http://www.busybeetools.com/products...r-craftex.html

These systems are not really made for turning tools.

Graham

FYI, BusyBee is (or at least was) owned by the brother of the guy that
owns Grizzly
Which is why they often have identical lines of tools

I always thought the 2 companies were related, Grizzly in WA, Busy Bee
in BC. The only difference is the paint colour.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 26 Nov 2016 07:17:59 -0800
Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

FYI, BusyBee is (or at least was) owned by the brother of the guy
that owns Grizzly

going for a different demographic based on age and or trying to win
customers back that gave up on grizzly due to low quality

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 26 Nov 2016 14:55:43 -0700
graham wrote:

I always thought the 2 companies were related, Grizzly in WA, Busy
Bee in BC. The only difference is the paint colour.

one for canadians and one for us

probably due to shipping costs

but same chinese source

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 24 Nov 2016 18:25:50 -0500
"G. Ross" wrote:

I use a 1 x 40 inch belt sander from Grizzly. The table is set at
the angle I like. With a blue sharpening belt from Lee Valley I can

like this idea
why is the belt blue
is it to designate as a sharpening belt or is it the material
or both

sharpen three bowl gouges in half a minute. I don't know if they
will shave (I have a razor for that), but they will sure peel off the
wood.

plus you need that special face plate for shaving

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

The Tormek has the ability and tools for sharpening hand carving tools
and lathe turning tools.

I have edition 10.1 of the manual. I also have the DVD.

SVS-38 for hand gouges v-tools wood chisels and square carving - short
with a straight shank.

SVD-185 is improved for V-tools.

SV-50 square carving chisels

SVD - 185 Gouge Jig - Turning and carving - straight or bent.
Fingernail gouge bowl gouge and standard one as well.

svs-50 multi Jig Turning and carving tools.

SE-76 for the hand splitting / wood chisels &
flat and plane irons (max 3")

Martin H. Eastburn

drill etc sharpeners? jim UK diy 11 November 22nd 14 06:36 PM
Drill Sharpeners Brian Lawson Metalworking 2 July 9th 09 10:02 PM
Is our builder gouging us on hardwood? Licorice Tattoo Home Ownership 5 February 24th 07 07:48 PM
Rockler price gouging brianlanning Woodworking 25 April 8th 05 11:02 PM
Japanese waterstone (power) sharpeners? Merle Woodworking 6 December 8th 04 10:07 PM