Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default american made general

looks like a real nice lathe and really not a bad price

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...812563729.html

what is the thing with all the knobs in the small photo

iirc someone mentioned they are made in canada or am i misremembering

or maybe they once were made in usa then canada and now china

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 10/4/2016 4:22 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

looks like a real nice lathe and really not a bad price

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...812563729.html

what is the thing with all the knobs in the small photo

iirc someone mentioned they are made in canada or am i misremembering

or maybe they once were made in usa then canada and now china

General was a CANADIAN company with the foundry in Quebec. It was sold
and became General International and the foundry (like Powermatic) was
closed and all the stuff under the new brand is made in China and Taiwan.
If you look at the photos, you will see a Maple Leaf flag on it.
Graham
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 16:32:18 -0600
graham wrote:

General was a CANADIAN company with the foundry in Quebec. It was
sold and became General International and the foundry (like
Powermatic) was closed and all the stuff under the new brand is made
in China and Taiwan. If you look at the photos, you will see a Maple
Leaf flag on it. Graham

yeah the flag is why i recalled the mention here of being made in canada

and with the gap bed it is more versatile
a nice lathe

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 10/4/2016 6:20 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 16:32:18 -0600
graham wrote:

General was a CANADIAN company with the foundry in Quebec. It was
sold and became General International and the foundry (like
Powermatic) was closed and all the stuff under the new brand is made
in China and Taiwan. If you look at the photos, you will see a Maple
Leaf flag on it. Graham

yeah the flag is why i recalled the mention here of being made in canada

and with the gap bed it is more versatile
a nice lathe

About 20 years ago, I was looking into buying a table saw and I was
considering either the General, then made in Canada, or the Powermatic,
then made in the USA. They were of comparable quality.
Now the foundries are derelict and the labels are attached to stuff from
the Far East. That's globalisation or you!
Graham

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

graham wrote:

General was a CANADIAN company with the foundry in Quebec. It was
sold and became General International and the foundry (like
Powermatic) was closed and all the stuff under the new brand is made
in China and Taiwan. If you look at the photos, you will see a Maple
Leaf flag on it. Graham

yeah the flag is why i recalled the mention here of being made in canada

and with the gap bed it is more versatile
a nice lathe

I started watching a video on deep hollow turning by David Ellsworth in
1994. He was then using a General 260.
Graham

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 22:32:42 -0600
graham wrote:

About 20 years ago, I was looking into buying a table saw and I was
considering either the General, then made in Canada, or the
Powermatic, then made in the USA. They were of comparable quality.
Now the foundries are derelict and the labels are attached to stuff
from the Far East. That's globalisation or you!

not sure how well robust is doing but i hear good things and it seems
they are all made in the usa

so the trend is reversing a little bit here and there

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 10/6/2016 3:00 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 22:32:42 -0600
graham wrote:

About 20 years ago, I was looking into buying a table saw and I was
considering either the General, then made in Canada, or the
Powermatic, then made in the USA. They were of comparable quality.
Now the foundries are derelict and the labels are attached to stuff
from the Far East. That's globalisation or you!

not sure how well robust is doing but i hear good things and it seems
they are all made in the usa

so the trend is reversing a little bit here and there

The Canadian Oneway is also successful.
Graham

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 6 Oct 2016 16:35:47 -0600
graham wrote:

The Canadian Oneway is also successful.

do you or anyone here know if there is a list of equipment made in
north america

a reliable list that receives regular scrutiny

in the face of competition being made at home is a strong selling
point so just for that fact i would expect to see more made here

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 10/7/2016 1:27 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Thu, 6 Oct 2016 16:35:47 -0600
graham wrote:

The Canadian Oneway is also successful.

do you or anyone here know if there is a list of equipment made in
north america

For lathes, the only ones that I know are Oneway and Robust. I think
there are some small companies making turning tools (Oneway does) but
the most of the best still come from Sheffield with some from Australia
and NZ.

a reliable list that receives regular scrutiny

in the face of competition being made at home is a strong selling
point so just for that fact i would expect to see more made here

It's difficult to compete with China and Taiwan.
Graham

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

graham wrote:

The Canadian Oneway is also successful.

do you or anyone here know if there is a list of equipment made in
north america

For lathes, the only ones that I know are Oneway and Robust. I think
there are some small companies making turning tools (Oneway does) but
the most of the best still come from Sheffield with some from Australia
and NZ.

Em... you are maybe out of date

Teknatool moved to China years ago
Several of the English tool firms now make them in China

As for tools the best (in my opinion) are D-Way and Thompson, both US made
Dave used M42 steel (D-Way) and Doug uses A10

a reliable list that receives regular scrutiny

in the face of competition being made at home is a strong selling
point so just for that fact i would expect to see more made here

It's difficult to compete with China and Taiwan.
Graham

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article om,
Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

Em... you are maybe out of date

Teknatool moved to China years ago
Several of the English tool firms now make them in China

For many items we still have:

http://www.ashleyiles.co.uk/

http://www.henrytaylortools.co.uk/

http://www.flinn-garlick-saws.co.uk/...ND-PLANES.html

These superb chucks are also UK made, I've seen the machine shop where
they are produced.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster...chuck-ax915228

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 12 Oct 2016 07:56:30 -0700
Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

As for tools the best (in my opinion) are D-Way and Thompson, both US
made Dave used M42 steel (D-Way) and Doug uses A10

both of those sites are good source of turning tools

have probably seen them before but just forgot