Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Lube for Turning

Ok, another question.

When making a cut on the metal lathe, I often use some form of lube. It
makes a dramatic difference when drilling.

Has anyone tried lube for their turnings? What did you use? My favorite
finish for the wooden top toys is simply candle wax melted in to the wood,
so I may start there.

I'm trying to reduce/eliminate tearout from turning across the grain, and a
sharp tool at the right angle and speed has helped, but the better I can
get the finish off the tool, the less sanding I have to do, right?

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 07 Aug 2016 15:54:04 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Ok, another question.

When making a cut on the metal lathe, I often use some form of lube. It
makes a dramatic difference when drilling.

Has anyone tried lube for their turnings? What did you use? My favorite
finish for the wooden top toys is simply candle wax melted in to the wood,
so I may start there.

I'm trying to reduce/eliminate tearout from turning across the grain, and a
sharp tool at the right angle and speed has helped, but the better I can
get the finish off the tool, the less sanding I have to do, right?

Puckdropper

I've used sanding sealer in a spray can, others use lacquer...
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Mac Davis wrote in
:

On 07 Aug 2016 15:54:04 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Ok, another question.

When making a cut on the metal lathe, I often use some form of lube.
It makes a dramatic difference when drilling.

Has anyone tried lube for their turnings? What did you use? My
favorite finish for the wooden top toys is simply candle wax melted in
to the wood, so I may start there.

I'm trying to reduce/eliminate tearout from turning across the grain,
and a sharp tool at the right angle and speed has helped, but the
better I can get the finish off the tool, the less sanding I have to
do, right?

Puckdropper

I've used sanding sealer in a spray can, others use lacquer...

I had some excellent results today with carbide, turning the speed up to
max and applying a bit of wax. Even in wood, carbide likes to be worked
hard.

Puckdropper