Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default oneway but one question

how could someone buy one of these and never use it

all i would do if i had one of these is use it

i may forego food and sleep even

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/tls/5619237784.html

is the outboard tool rest really large or is that just the way the
photo makes it look

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 07/06/2016 6:08 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
how could someone buy one of these and never use it

all i would do if i had one of these is use it

i may forego food and sleep even

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/tls/5619237784.html

is the outboard tool rest really large or is that just the way the
photo makes it look

It is large! As is the lathe.
Saw a Laguna in use this evening. One sweet machine!
Graham

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 7:08:12 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
how could someone buy one of these and never use it

all i would do if i had one of these is use it

i may forego food and sleep even

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/tls/5619237784.html

is the outboard tool rest really large or is that just the way the
photo makes it look

Impulse buying for someone who has more money than sense ?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 22:35:54 -0600
graham wrote:

It is large! As is the lathe.

thought it was just the perspective

could do a lot with a lathe like that

Saw a Laguna in use this evening. One sweet machine!

which model

interesting thing about lagunatools is that there are very few that
i see on the used market

what does it mean

i think it means that they have earned respect and are either not sold
because the buyers are serious and use them for a living

or

they get bought up so quickly

probably both

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 04:47:13 -0700 (PDT)
"Dr. Deb" wrote:

Impulse buying for someone who has more money than sense ?

that or they lost the nerve to use it

maybe intimidated

it is a serious machine and not to be used casually

i make mistakes on my lathe and it is forgiving because it is small
those same mistakes on a lathe like that might not turn out the same

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 08/06/2016 11:16 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 22:35:54 -0600
graham wrote:

It is large! As is the lathe.

thought it was just the perspective

could do a lot with a lathe like that

Saw a Laguna in use this evening. One sweet machine!

which model

The 18-36.
I looked at the video on how to put one together and almost got backache
from watching it:-)
http://www.lagunatools.com/lathes/18-36
interesting thing about lagunatools is that there are very few that
i see on the used market

what does it mean

i think it means that they have earned respect and are either not sold
because the buyers are serious and use them for a living

or

they get bought up so quickly

probably both

Almost certainly. The quality seems to be outstanding.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 11:23:49 -0600
graham wrote:

The 18-36.
I looked at the video on how to put one together and almost got
backache from watching it:-)

everything seems to be getting heavier

of course good lathes are heavy

http://www.lagunatools.com/lathes/18-36

that is the latest one from them with the steel bed instead of cast

supposed to be much better than cast

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Just look at the skews and other tools - those can be lethal.
I've turned for 60+ years on/off/on again It takes time to enjoy.

I taught my son how to turn and he made a few things. He being a teen
at the time was a bit aggressive in his work. One day a bowl shattered
and a chunk hit him in the face mask - at the top head shield. So the
clear was ok, but the white forehead protector shattered.

He decided it wasn't a safe hobby to himself - playing semi-pro in
music. He hasn't touched anything in the shop since unless it was
electronic and his stuff I was fixing for him.

Sometimes all it takes is a wobble in a chunk of wood.

My uncle had a monster lathe and turned hats and large trays.

A round that is sized for a hat might be 160 pounds or more after
truing it into a round.

Martin

"Dr. Deb" wrote:

Impulse buying for someone who has more money than sense ?

that or they lost the nerve to use it

maybe intimidated

it is a serious machine and not to be used casually

i make mistakes on my lathe and it is forgiving because it is small
those same mistakes on a lathe like that might not turn out the same

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 23:43:45 -0500
Martin Eastburn wrote:

I taught my son how to turn and he made a few things. He being a teen
at the time was a bit aggressive in his work. One day a bowl
shattered and a chunk hit him in the face mask - at the top head
shield. So the clear was ok, but the white forehead protector
shattered.

yes there is a tendency for newcomers to try to take off too much
wood too quickly with results that vary and start at bad and go to
worse and beyond

OneWay Stronghold chuck question Bob Daun Woodturning 8 March 6th 07 07:47 AM
Oneway Termite Bit question Tom Storey Woodturning 1 January 12th 06 11:46 PM
OneWay 1224 Larry Day Woodturning 4 March 5th 05 10:04 AM
Oneway? Jeff Johnson Woodturning 10 August 11th 04 07:26 PM
question about oneway and axminster chucks Damned if i know Woodturning 3 March 15th 04 11:45 PM