Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default To you woodworking magazine hoarders out there

I accidentally tossed out a woodworking magazine I'd long been saving, that
contained an article about a hanging tool cabinet that I have been intending
to build to mount over my workbench. I'm appealing to you guys to see if I
can describe it well enough for you to remember it and perhaps locate the
issue in your archives.

The cabinet was made from a dark wood, perhaps mahogany, with double doors
about two inches deep, with the usual sort of storage within the opened
doors for racks of chisels, marking tools, and so forth. Inside in the
bottom half of the main cabinet were the following two features: (1) a row
of narrow cubbyholes all the way across the cabinet for storage of small and
medium-sized hand planes with their heels toward you, separated by 1/4"
vertical separators made of what I think was curly maple, and (2) an
internal cabinet of small drawers, maybe a foot high. These two, the hand
plane storage and the small drawers, take up approximately half of the
vertical space in the cabinet, leaving the upper area open and undivided.
The critical design point that you might remember is that in the back of the
upper area, three long planes, maybe Stanley #5, #6 and #7, or maybe #6, #7
and #8 were displayed, one above the other, lying on their sides with their
soles facing toward the back of the cabinet, with each of the three planes
lying on a narrow shelf shaped like the profile of the plane. On the right
side wall, if I remember correctly, hung a couple of router planes, such as
a Stanley #71.

I believe that the tool cabinet appeared on the cover of the magazine, and
that it was published perhaps, but not certainly, between say 2011 and 2014,
certainly no later than early 2014. I've been looking on the web, and so far
I've checked the online archives for a number of woodworking magazines. I've
checked the covers for an image of the cabinet and read through the magazine
indexes without finding it. Here are the archives I've searched so far:
. Fine Woodworking
. Woodworker's Journal
. Popular Woodworking
. American Woodworker (what's available on the web since it merged with
Popular Woodworking, anyway)

I'm hoping that this description will ring a bell, and that perhaps one of
you might be able to find the issue or even just suggest the names of other
woodworking magazines I might look for. I'm not asking for the issue itself,
but if I can find the name of the magazine and the issue date or number I
can find a way to buy a back issue of it from the publisher.

Thanks for any help you can give me on this quest,

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"tdacon" wrote in message ...

Oops, sorry. I meant to post this in rec.woodworking. But maybe there's a
wood turner here who might be able to help.

Thanks for any help you can give me on this,
Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Your description could be this one from Woodcraft:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/152...l-cabinet.aspx

or this one

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...d-tool-cabinet

or this one

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...g-tool-cabinet

Good luck with your search,

Dave
One good turn deserves another

On Saturday, March 26, 2016 at 6:26:02 PM UTC-4, tdacon wrote:
I accidentally tossed out a woodworking magazine I'd long been saving, that
contained an article about a hanging tool cabinet that I have been intending
to build to mount over my workbench. I'm appealing to you guys to see if I
can describe it well enough for you to remember it and perhaps locate the
issue in your archives.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Dave Leader" wrote in message

Your description could be this one from Woodcraft:
http://www.woodcraft.com/product/152...l-cabinet.aspx
or this one
http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...d-tool-cabinet
or this one
http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...g-tool-cabinet

Dave
One good turn deserves another

Thanks, Dave. These are close, but not the exact one I'm looking for.
Nevertheless they offer some good images of what I'm after. If I don't find
the original, or even if I do, I'll undoubtedly be making changes to the
original 'inspiration' when I build my own tool cabinet, so I'll study these
as well for whatever I can learn from them.

Best regards,
Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I found an image of the cabinet!

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...8o0&ajaxhist=0

Sonny gave me a great suggestion to use Bing's image search, and after
scrolling through a lot of pictures I happened upon an excellent image of
the cabinet. I then used tineye.com to do a reverse image lookup, hoping
that I would find a useful URL in any hits that tineye found. Unfortunately,
no luck so far on that, but I'm going to keep on keepin' on.

Thanks,
Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 27 Mar 2016 18:04:17 -0700, tdacon wrote:

I found an image of the cabinet!

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=hand-tool

+cabinet&view=detailv2&&id=F6AC5602CEA64BA58DB0362 06A791984E493317A&selectedIndex=172&ccid=NmQPdBbP& simid=607987857595302021&thid=OIP.M36640f7416cf6d6 07ba7d10da39c9e28o0&ajaxhist=0

Sonny gave me a great suggestion to use Bing's image search, and after
scrolling through a lot of pictures I happened upon an excellent image
of the cabinet. I then used tineye.com to do a reverse image lookup,
hoping that I would find a useful URL in any hits that tineye found.
Unfortunately,
no luck so far on that, but I'm going to keep on keepin' on.

Thanks,
Tom

Try
http://www.woodworkingarchive.biz/to...inet-for-shop-
and-site.html

Best
Jack Fearnley

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Jack Fearnley" wrote in message ...

Try
http://www.woodworkingarchive.biz/to...inet-for-shop-
and-site.html

Best
Jack Fearnley

Thanks, Jack. Good catch. That's it, all right. Still looking for plans, but
a good detailed picture like that one is probably all I need to get the
effect I'm going to be after for my much-simpler project.

Best regards,
Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Yesss! Found and purchased the plans, available online from Viking Mountain
Tool Works:

http://www.vmtw.com/american-furnitu...n-tool-cabinet

Thanks to Dan Kozar, who while he didn't post in this thread, emailed me
privately with the link. Kudos to him, and thanks to everyone who's helped
along the way.

Tom