DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How to lock the spindle on a ELU DB180 (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/390454-how-lock-spindle-elu-db180.html)

[email protected] February 15th 16 01:02 AM

How to lock the spindle on a ELU DB180

Hi Guys,
I have just picked up an old Wood Lathe at a farm auction.
When I say old it is an 1984 model but looks to be in reasonable condition.

I'm trying to figure out how to remove the Headstock Drive Center.
Google search has shown that it has a M18 x 2.5 Thread in there.
(Not a morse taper that I can tap out)

So the attachments on the headstock must just unscrew.
The Drive Center has a big hexagon on it so that is no problem.

I can't figure out how to lock the spindle so I can get it undone.

There is a small hole in the top of the headstock but it looks like an oil hole. I can't imagine locking with such a small pin. any amount of force would just shear it off.

Any Ideas?

I also can't find a manual. A couple of shady looking sites want my credit card number but that isn't going to happen. Has anyone seen a pdf manual for this machine.

Thanks for any assistance.
David

Puckdropper[_2_] February 15th 16 06:32 AM

How to lock the spindle on a ELU DB180

wrote in
:

[...]

How big is the hole? Sometimes those small pins will hold back more than
you realize.

I found on old link to the manual he
http://www.daltonsmachines.com/uploa...ls//Elu_DB_180
_Lathe_Manual.pdf

You may try sending an e-mail to the people there and ask if they could
send you that PDF.

Parts diagrams are available via an image search, sometimes they can give
you a clue.

Puckdropper

[email protected] February 15th 16 07:37 AM

How to lock the spindle on a ELU DB180

Hi Puckdropper,
I did find that link to the PDF referred to in quite a few places. I never thought to write to them and ask if they still have it :)

I also found an old parts diagram but that hole is not drawn in.

I have just been out to measure the hole and it is 5mm dia by about 16mm deep.
I can feel some notches in the shaft if I put a piece of wire down there.

Now that I look at the hole closely I see a bur in the direction that would form if an undersized rod was used to hold the shaft while the Center was removed.

I guess I'll find / make something the right size and have a go.

If the worst happens I'll just dissemble the headstock. If nothing else I'll see the condition of the "notches" and what the bearings look like.

Thanks for your input and I'll post the results here.

David.

Electric Comet February 16th 16 05:16 PM

How to lock the spindle on a ELU DB180

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 17:02:57 -0800 (PST)
wrote:

Any Ideas?

try a laether pipe wrench

I also can't find a manual. A couple of shady looking sites want my

try the wayback machine

Dave Leader August 5th 18 02:47 PM

On Sunday, February 14, 2016 at 8:02:58 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

You can see the parts diagram here... http://www.powertoolspares.com/tool/...btype1/spares/ Maybe the diagram can help identify the knobs (83 and 85) that might lock the spindle.

Dave

Dave Leader August 5th 18 03:24 PM

[...]

Now that I see a spring (86) on knob (85), I'd bet that is the spindle lock.