Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default interesting lathe allows tailstock to pivot back

another make i have never heard of
this is part of why i look at craigslist

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/tls/5397792520.html

looks very well robust

the motor on that is large

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 02/02/2016 12:18 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
another make i have never heard of
this is part of why i look at craigslist

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/tls/5397792520.html

looks very well robust

the motor on that is large

I believe it's a 3hp but could be wrong. 220v at any rate. A friend of
mine has one. His has little rust spots on it where I drool every time
I visit. :-)

Powermatic is making a similar tailstock swing adapter for their lathes.
It's an add-on though. I'm not sure if the swing-away is an add-on
for the Robust or if it's a bring money option. Nice feature either way...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 02/02/2016 2:18 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
another make i have never heard of
this is part of why i look at craigslist

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/tls/5397792520.html

Ellsworth uses one. I get the impression that it is a
US made alternative to the Canadian Oneway.
Graham

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 13:58:26 -0900
Kevin Miller wrote:

I believe it's a 3hp but could be wrong. 220v at any rate. A friend
of mine has one. His has little rust spots on it where I drool every
time I visit. :-)

it looks huge to my eye but i do not know if the size is any indicator of
horsepower

Powermatic is making a similar tailstock swing adapter for their
lathes. It's an add-on though. I'm not sure if the swing-away is an
add-on for the Robust or if it's a bring money option. Nice feature
either way...

imitation is a sincere form of flattery they say

but the wood lathe market must be pretty tight so they got to stay in
the running somehow

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 16:37:47 -0700
graham wrote:

Ellsworth uses one. I get the impression that it is a
US made alternative to the Canadian Oneway.

a oneway is the first thing i thought when i saw it so that seems possible

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 2016-02-02 21:18:57 +0000, Electric Comet said:

another make i have never heard of
this is part of why i look at craigslist

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/tls/5397792520.html

looks very well robust

the motor on that is large

Brent English (owner) makes a great lathe, The American Beauty has been
my dream lathe since I saw S/N 2 at the Portland Symposium years ago

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 2016-02-02 22:58:26 +0000, Kevin Miller said:

On 02/02/2016 12:18 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
another make i have never heard of
this is part of why i look at craigslist

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/tls/5397792520.html

looks very well robust

the motor on that is large

I believe it's a 3hp but could be wrong. 220v at any rate. A friend
of mine has one. His has little rust spots on it where I drool every
time I visit. :-)

I'm impressed you can rust one, since they are stainles....

Powermatic is making a similar tailstock swing adapter for their
lathes. It's an add-on though. I'm not sure if the swing-away is an
add-on for the Robust or if it's a bring money option. Nice feature
either way...

Powermatic was adding it as a free option right after "introduction" .
I say introduction in quotes as PM didn't invent the design, some
woodturners did and PM was "inspired" in their design

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 13:58:26 -0900
Kevin Miller wrote:

lathes. It's an add-on though. I'm not sure if the swing-away is an
add-on for the Robust or if it's a bring money option. Nice feature

extra 850 for the swing-away add-on

and the 3 hp is 330 extra

not sure if warrantee is transferrable but maybe 7000 for that would
be a good deal but really since it is used 6000 or 6500

but what a nice lathe that is

not in the cards for me

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 07:42:44 -0800
Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

Brent English (owner) makes a great lathe, The American Beauty has
been my dream lathe since I saw S/N 2 at the Portland Symposium years
ago

real nice lathe for sure

well thought out

i like the magnetic control box you can move around wherever you like

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 13:58:26 -0900
Kevin Miller wrote:

Powermatic is making a similar tailstock swing adapter for their

i watched a few videos by a guy named carl on youtube but have not seen
any in a long time

he used to turn on a delta that was duct taped together or something

then he got a new delta midi i think but soon after got a PM and now
i learned he ditched the PM and has a Robust

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 2016-02-02 21:18:57 +0000, Electric Comet said:

another make i have never heard of
this is part of why i look at craigslist

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/tls/5397792520.html

looks very well robust

the motor on that is large

Brent English (owner) makes a great lathe, The American Beauty has been
my dream lathe since I saw S/N 2 at the Portland Symposium years ago

I learned of it only recently. I have a General 160 that I power through
a jack shaft for lower speeds and it seems to be causing problems with
excess vibration.
I'd like to upgrade to one in the Robust/Oneway class. The Laguna
appears to be a good but less expensive alternative.
Graham
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 2016-02-02 21:18:57 +0000, Electric Comet said:

another make i have never heard of
this is part of why i look at craigslist

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/tls/5397792520.html

looks very well robust

the motor on that is large

Brent English (owner) makes a great lathe, The American Beauty has been
my dream lathe since I saw S/N 2 at the Portland Symposium years ago

I learned of it only recently. I have a General 160 that I power
through a jack shaft for lower speeds and it seems to be causing
problems with excess vibration.
I'd like to upgrade to one in the Robust/Oneway class. The Laguna
appears to be a good but less expensive alternative.
Graham

Laguna are made by the Burt Group (China), the same group that makes
Grizzly, Harbor Freight, Busy Bee, Master Craft and many other "import"
brands

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 07:44:47 -0800
Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

Laguna are made by the Burt Group (China), the same group that makes

i do not think the new revo by laguna is made by burt group and i
am not sure at all that their other lathes are made by burt group either

i did not see one steel bed lathe on the burt group site

ttp://www.burt-group.com.cn/product/Woodworking_Catalgoue/Wood_Lathe/index.html

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 13:33:41 -0700
graham wrote:

I'd like to upgrade to one in the Robust/Oneway class. The Laguna
appears to be a good but less expensive alternative.

i just saw a revo for 1999
which seems like a good deal for that lathe

if i had the $$ would love to upgrade to that one

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 2016-02-08 00:33:18 +0000, Electric Comet said:

On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 07:44:47 -0800
Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

Laguna are made by the Burt Group (China), the same group that makes

i do not think the new revo by laguna is made by burt group and i
am not sure at all that their other lathes are made by burt group either

"Sources" say they are

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 8 Feb 2016 06:59:10 -0800
Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

"Sources" say they are

anything is possible and it does say designed here but it does not
say where it is made

and if it was made in united states they would say that since it is
a selling point

the revo is one third price of the robust sweet sixteen but i think
it is more than half as good as the robust

the price of the robust puts it out of reach of a lot of folks and
it seems that grizzly is capturing a fair share of the market these
days

if i were choosing i would choose the revo

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 08/02/2016 8:46 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Mon, 8 Feb 2016 06:59:10 -0800
Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

"Sources" say they are

anything is possible and it does say designed here but it does not
say where it is made

and if it was made in united states they would say that since it is
a selling point

the revo is one third price of the robust sweet sixteen but i think
it is more than half as good as the robust

the price of the robust puts it out of reach of a lot of folks and
it seems that grizzly is capturing a fair share of the market these
days

if i were choosing i would choose the revo

The Revo is probably made by this Chinese company:
http://tiny.cc/4jvy8x

Scroll down for some close-ups.
Graham

Tailstock Pivot Dick Mahany Woodworking Plans and Photos 8 September 1st 08 02:05 AM
Jet 1642 Tailstock Tilt Pivot Dick Mahany Woodturning 0 August 31st 08 05:53 PM
Craftsman Lathe Tailstock woodslave Woodturning 10 July 12th 08 02:09 PM
Old lathe bed, no motor, needs tailstock JayW Woodturning 3 February 16th 05 12:26 AM
fa: lathe tailstock (make your own lathe?) william_b_noble Woodturning 0 October 17th 04 04:02 AM