DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   silky oak allergy - what helps? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/378247-re-silky-oak-allergy-what-helps.html)

Stu Beckhurst February 4th 15 03:06 AM

silky oak allergy - what helps?

On Tuesday, January 28, 2003 at 5:30:07 AM UTC, william_b_noble wrote:
well, it had to happen - someone gave me a piece of silky oak (or maybe
sheoak) and I find I'm allergic to the dust - fortunrately I wore a HEPA
respirator, but everywhere the dust settled on my skin, I have the kind of
rash I get from poison oak - but slightly different and more persistent -
anyone know what is effective against this (other than the obvious "quit
turning silky oak)??? didn't find anything on the web for such a reaction
although there is plenty for poison oak/sumac/ivy

???

Hamza made a good comment..... you might be dermatologically sensitive and not allergic. If your breathing suffered I would advise you avoid and vacuum / dust extract your workplace as best you can.
There is a very good website that states toxic woods on the net. I suggest you take a look.
A rule of thumb is that the more tropic a wood is the more inbuilt protection it has and therefore the more likely it is to be toxic as a self protection system.. sub tropic woods are less toxic and so on ..