Junior Member

Default 1933 craftsman wood lathe

I received a what I believe is a 1933 craftsman 8 in wood lathe. I am trying to find a Chuck that Will work on it. I think the shaft is reverse threaded and 1/8 in. Any help would be great

Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 12/12/2014 10:59 AM, tcaldwell wrote:
I received a what I believe is a 1933 craftsman 8 in wood lathe. I am
trying to find a Chuck that Will work on it. I think the shaft is
reverse threaded and 1/8 in. Any help would be great

Thanks

If you think the thread is a 1" 8 tpi that is logical. You should
count the threads for 8 or 10. Likely 8. Rare 10.

You should be able to find wood chucks with 1" 8 tpi at various
woodworking stores.

Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
tcaldwell wrote:

I received a what I believe is a 1933 craftsman 8 in wood lathe. I am
trying to find a Chuck that Will work on it. I think the shaft is
reverse threaded and 1/8 in. Any help would be great

Reverse thread would be expected on the outboard end (if there is an
outboard end), very unlikely on the inboard end, as it would tend to
unscrew in use unless the whole lathe is backwards. i.e. headstock to
the right of the worker rather than the normal headstock to the left of
the worker - and that would be extremely unusual to the point that I
have never seen one. Possible that (if it is a double-ended headstock)
someone "restored" it and put the headstock on (or spindle in) backwards?

Regardless, there are about a billion 1" x 8 LH, RH and L&R H
(double-threaded) accessories available, as it was and is a dirt-common
spindle size.

Junior Member

[quote=Martin Eastburn;3320604]On 12/12/2014 10:59 AM, tcaldwell wrote:[color=blue][i]
I received a what I believe is a 1933 craftsman 8 in wood lathe. I am
trying to find a Chuck that Will work on it. I think the shaft is
reverse threaded and 1/8 in. Any help would be great

Thanks

This may sound like a silly question but the Sharif believe is an 1/8 in not one inch. I am not sure if the 1in. 8 Tpi means the same thing

Thank you for your help
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 12/12/2014 9:38 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:
On 12/12/2014 10:59 AM, tcaldwell wrote:
I received a what I believe is a 1933 craftsman 8 in wood lathe. I am
trying to find a Chuck that Will work on it. I think the shaft is
reverse threaded and 1/8 in. Any help would be great

Thanks

If you think the thread is a 1" 8 tpi that is logical. You should
count the threads for 8 or 10. Likely 8. Rare 10.

You should be able to find wood chucks with 1" 8 tpi at various
woodworking stores.

Martin

I had a Sears lathe when I started turning and it was 3/4"x16tpi.
Graham

Junior Member

Thank you for all the help. I had the shaft slipped the spindle I need to attach a Chuck too is smooth with a notch for a set screw. I cannot find any slip on chucks or something I can turn pen blanks with
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 12/14/2014 4:26 PM, tcaldwell wrote:
Thank you for all the help. I had the shaft slipped the spindle I need
to attach a Chuck too is smooth with a notch for a set screw. I cannot
find any slip on chucks or something I can turn pen blanks with

Chucks screw on and when the work is cutting it makes the chuck tighter
on the shaft. I have a pre-WWII lathe that has a 1x10 thread and the
chucks I found just screwed on and worked just fine. Only when going
backwards would it screw off.

Someone likely put a screw 'hole' for a center and a DOG. The dog is
attached to the center (or chuck...) by a tough screw and then to the
threaded / and covered screw. The dog must rotate.

A tail stock dog latches onto the tail stock with an arm and
cener/drill/etc with an angle and screw.

Suggest you look up some old manuals for how some of this stuff worked.

Old timers didn't have wood chucks or chucks other those made from wood.

Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

--
tcaldwell

You might try posting your question here-

http://vintagemachinery.org/home.aspx

Lots of knowledgeable folks over there.