DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Mother & Child sweetgum bowls (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/375269-mother-child-sweetgum-bowls.html)

G. Ross October 25th 14 04:58 PM

Mother & Child sweetgum bowls

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83195184@N02/
--
 GW Ross

 If the universe is expanding, why
 can't I find a parking space?

asdfasdf October 26th 14 04:55 AM

Mother & Child sweetgum bowls

On 10/25/2014 11:58 AM, G. Ross wrote:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/83195184@N02/

Nice work. Wish I had a lathe like that.

Mac Davis October 26th 14 04:28 PM

Mother & Child sweetgum bowls

On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 11:58:03 -0400, "G. Ross"
wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83195184@N02/

Nice, Gerald.... I gave up on coring, never could get it right...

G. Ross October 26th 14 06:00 PM

wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83195184@N02/

Nice, Gerald.... I gave up on coring, never could get it right...

I love it, even if I can't use the center portion. It is so fast!
But unless the outside is a perfect arc the inside has to be turned by
hand a little to make it match the outside curve.

--
 GW Ross

 A good memory does not equal pale ink.

[email protected] October 29th 14 12:21 AM

wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83195184@N02/

Very nice bowls. A couple of questions:

why do you use a router and

is there no way to keep the beautiful color seen in #10

Martin Eastburn October 29th 14 12:47 AM

wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83195184@N02/
Very nice bowls. A couple of questions:

why do you use a router and

is there no way to keep the beautiful color seen in #10

Looks like for the dovetail for the chuck to turn on. Just guessing.
Martin

G. Ross October 29th 14 06:58 AM

wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83195184@N02/
Very nice bowls. A couple of questions:

why do you use a router and

is there no way to keep the beautiful color seen in #10

I have found no satisfactory alternative for rounding the dovetail
recess in a warped bowl. Leaving it oval and irregular makes it
difficult to keep it on the chuck, and if slips during turning it is
almost impossible to get the same grip again without rounding it.
Some woods do not change shape as much with drying.
The color is fine, my photography is not.

[email protected] October 30th 14 02:23 AM

Mother & Child sweetgum bowls

On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 02:58:25 -0400, "G. Ross"

wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83195184@N02/

Very nice bowls. A couple of questions:

why do you use a router and

is there no way to keep the beautiful color seen in #10

I have found no satisfactory alternative for rounding the dovetail
recess in a warped bowl. Leaving it oval and irregular makes it
difficult to keep it on the chuck, and if slips during turning it is
almost impossible to get the same grip again without rounding it.
Some woods do not change shape as much with drying.
The color is fine, my photography is not.

I am new to bowl turning and had not thought about the stem or recess
getting out of round during the drying process. I guess I better
ponder that a bit since I have 3 bowls currently drying.

Thanks for the pictures and the tip.