Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default "GENERAL Wood Lathe

I have been using a General 260 for 15 years and find it to be very good. But, in the last few months have had problem with it losing power and stalling out. I end up taking lighter cuts to avoid stalling it. The belts seem ok, and I cleaned them, not sure why its losing power? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Chris Boerner
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
wrote:
I have been using a General 260 for 15 years and find it to be very
good. But, in the last few months have had problem with it losing power
and stalling out. I end up taking lighter cuts to avoid stalling it. The
belts seem ok, and I cleaned them, not sure why its losing power? Any
ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know anything about this lathe but if it's a Standard "Capacitor
run" motor the capacitor may be failing.

--
Stuart Winsor

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:
I have been using a General 260 for 15 years and find it to be very good.
But, in the last few months have had problem with it losing power and
stalling out. I end up taking lighter cuts to avoid stalling it. The
belts seem ok, and I cleaned them, not sure why its losing power? Any
ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Chris Boerner

Something to consider, while the belts seem OK, they may still be slipping.
Can you determine if the motor too is stalling?

Is the head stock taper clean and not spinning?

Start with observing the motor to make sure it is not stalling, if not do
the same for the belts, if not you should probably clean the taper.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 10:26:53 -0500, wrote
(in message ):

I have been using a General 260 for 15 years and find it to be very good.
But, in the last few months have had problem with it losing power and
stalling out. I end up taking lighter cuts to avoid stalling it. The belts
seem ok, and I cleaned them, not sure why its losing power? Any ideas or

Thank you,
Chris Boerner

am not familiar with this machine, so took a look on the web - seems to be a
variable speed unit, maybe reeves drive? If this is the case, your motor is a
single speed one. If it is a 120 volt unit, it may be a split-phase motor
with starting windings and a centrifugal switch that cuts out the starting
windings at about 70% of full speed. If the switch does not cut out, the
starting windings stay in the circuit and actually prevent the motor from
reaching full speed. Does the motor get hot to the touch? It should not, if
running properly. When not plugged in and with no load on the drive spindle,
does the spindle turn easily (looking for bound-up bearings or misaligned
belts.) If it is a reeves drive, pulleys are keyed to their shafts, and if
the keys are missing or sheared, there can be slippage between the pulley and
the shaft it is on, and no belt slippage to give a clue. Could also be some
lubrication issues keeping the spring-loaded half of the variable pulley from
reacting as it should. Again, assuming a reeves drive.
If the motor seems to be running hot, it could indicate a damaged winding in
the field. A 4-pole split phase motor should be running about 1750 rpm with
no load on it, and a 2-pole motor about 3450 rpm more or less, with no load.
A noticeably slower speed under light load could indicate damaged field
winding, maybe. Unlikely, but a possibility. If the bolts that hold the motor
housing together are not doing their job, there could be a slight
misalignment of the end bells on the motor resulting in an increased load on
the motor shft, slowing it down and leading to some heating of the motor.
Just some thoughts.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

4Sale Craftsman Variable-Speed Lathe - File 1 of 1 - yEnc "lathe.rar" 1040378 bytes (2/3) machine Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 March 26th 08 11:27 PM
4Sale Craftsman Variable-Speed Lathe - File 1 of 1 - yEnc "lathe.rar" 1040378 bytes (1/3) machine Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 March 26th 08 11:27 PM
Grizzly wood lathe vs Jet vs General, etc [email protected] Woodworking 11 December 11th 05 04:44 PM
General Lathe ? Q47M Woodturning 5 June 22nd 05 04:27 PM
Who sells General Lathe? Denis Marier Woodturning 3 February 7th 05 05:49 AM